Many have jumped on the case of Pixar in the past decade or so as they don’t believe that there is any originality left in the company. Numerous sequels are making it seem as if the creativity of the Disney-Pixar partnership has disappeared and that they don’t know how to make new films anymore. Well, that is all about to change and it’s going to come at the cost of those hoping to see sequels to Wall-E, Inside Out, and Ratatouille.
Based off of the tremendous success of Finding Dory since it opened in theaters three weeks ago, it’s no surprise that Disney and Pixar would want to capitalize on popular characters/brands. Why wouldn’t they? The success is there to be had and that’s why films such as The Incredibles 2, Cars 3, and Toy Story 4 are all being made.
He knows that successful brands are not just going to be ignored and that’s been a huge thing for them and the fans, but they have a bigger plan.
“Our plan had been to make an original every year and a sequel every other year, if the idea came forth to do it. If we add the next films after the current ones, it actually comes out to exactly that: seven sequels in a spate of 21 originals, from the time we were acquired by Disney [in 2006]. So it’s penciled out to be the same portfolio, just not in the order we thought they would be. And a lot of that has to do with when Andrew had a sequel idea, and Brad had a sequel idea…sometimes that’s just how it happens.”
So, sequels just kept coming out because there were plenty of ideas for the characters that had already been created. Obviously, those ideas have worked well for Disney-Pixar, so they kept running with them and then decided on even more.
For those that are rather upset about all the sequels, though, there are changes on the way. Morris has said that after the release of The Incredibles 2 in 2019, things are going to change drastically.
“Everything after Toy Story and The Incredibles is an original right now.”
The two films listed on Disney’s release schedule for March and June of 2020 are both slated to be original and new films. Morris says they will delve into “other directions than we’ve pursued in the past.”
After those two films, Pixar will have two more totally original films that are currently in early development, but not yet on the schedule. Other than what has already been announced, there are no other sequels planned at this time.
Actually, the only new film coming from Pixar in the next four years is going to be Coco, which is inspired by the Mexican holiday known as Dia de los Muertos. It was announced at the D23 Expo last year and will be released on Nov. 22, 2017.
[Image via Pixar]