Episode 9 of Game of Thrones saw the demise of a certain bad guy fans just love to hate. So who will fill his shoes as the resident evil in Game of Thrones?
SPOILER ALERT: This article contains information on Season 6 of HBO’s Game of Thrones. Please proceed with caution if you wish to avoid spoilers.
In Episode 9 of HBO’s Game of Thrones, Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) met his maker after his wife, Sansa (Sophie Turner), fed him to his own hounds. But before Ramsay was the favorite bad guy, there was King Joffrey (Jack Gleeson). Joffrey was every bit as revolting and sadistic as Ramsay. But, now Westeros has been purged of these creeps, who else could spring up in their place? Let’s look at some possibilities.
- Euron Greyjoy. This is Iwan Rheon’s pick for the newest bad guy in Game of Thrones. According to in interview the actor did with The New York Post, Euron (Pilou Asbaek) is one of Rheon’s top picks. “I think he’s got the potential to be a good antagonist,” he says. But he also added a couple more choices to the mix. “You’ve got Littlefinger (Aidan Gillen) kicking about. And you’ve got the White Walkers as well.” Euron has only just turned up in Game of Thrones, but what an entrance when he killed his brother who, at the time, was the ruler of the Iron Islands. Euron then went on to take his place as ruler of the Iron Islands.
- Cersei Lannister. Cersei (Lena Headey) has always been the fall back bad guy in Game of Thrones. Most of the time she is drunk as she cuts down everyone around her with her viper’s tongue. And when she is not talking her way into the bad books, she is ordering the murder of babies or those who oppose her. She certainly would have been a credit to the bad guy name — until recently. Since Cersei has had to do the Walk of Atonement, she has fallen from her high spot a the top of the food chain. In the past, she has been able to use her children like puppets, ruling Westeros behind the king. However, now her son Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman) had gotten himself a wife he likes, he has little time for his mother. For many Game of Thrones fans, there is more pity than fear now. Although if that rumor about wildfire being underneath King’s Landing is true, Cersei just might be able to reclaim her former crown.
- Margaery Tyrell. Margaery (Natalie Dormer) is King Tommen’s wife. She has also proven she has a vendetta for anyone who gets in the way of the House Tyrell. If Cersei is not fit to be the next big bad on Game of Thrones, could Margaery fill her shoes instead?
- Sansa Stark. This is a controversial pick for the next bad guy on Game of Thrones, but after seeing Sansa feed her husband to the dogs, she certainly shows potential. And, considering just how badly she has been treated by just about everyone she has come across in Game of Thrones since she was first promised to King Joffrey in Season 1, could what she did to Ramsay be her tipping point?
- Daenerys Targaryen. Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) is another potentially controversial pick for Game of Thrones‘ resident evil. However, many fans are now suggesting Daenerys could be the next bad guy in Westeros. In fact, whether Daenerys is already a bad guy is discussed at great length in this Reddit topic. And there are some valid points to note about Daenerys. Firstly, she has no respect for any culture beyond her own beliefs. This alone is the calling card of any bad guy. However, as Decider also pointed out, Daenerys has “amassed her armies through means of seduction, intimidation, and trickery.” She will literally do anything for that iron throne.
- Night King. Night King (Vladimir Furdik) is a character who keeps popping up every now and again in Game of Thrones. He is the leader of the White Walkers and considering characters such as Jon Snow (Kit Harington) keep bringing up just how dangerous the White Walkers will be if they ever breach the Wall and make it into Westeros, Night King is the perfect bad guy. However, he isn’t really a character fans can love to hate like they did Ramsay and King Joffrey as he has barely gotten enough screen time (or lines) for fans to truly hate him with a passion.
- The Freys. Remember the red wedding in Season 3 of Game of Thrones? This is reason enough to hate the Freys, in particular, Walder Frey (David Bradley). If fans are ever in doubt as to who to hate in Game of Thrones, the Freys are a great fall back. And now, considering the Season 6 finale teaser video shows the Freys, it might be time for them to get their time in the spotlight in Episode 10 and beyond.
Who are you looking forward to hating now in Game of Thrones? Let us know by commenting below!
“Season Finale. Cersei faces her trial.”
[Image via Helen Sloan/HBO]