Note: The following contains spoilers for WWE NXT, airing on May 18, and WWE SmackDown, airing on May 19.
With WWE Extreme Rules less than a week away, Roman Reigns and AJ Styles headlined SmackDown along with The Usos and The Bullet Club (AJ Styles and Karl Anderson). In addition to the WWE World Heavyweight Championship being contested under Extreme Rules on Sunday, the feud between The Club and The Family continues with a match between The Usos and Anderson and Gallows.
— WWE (@WWE) May 17, 2016
On WWE NXT, the women’s division is on display, as Bayley vs. Nia Jax is the one match being promoted by WWE, and the spoilers show that Carmella is in competition against Peyton Royce and that WWE Women’s Champion Asuka may be in action as well. American Alpha face The Revival, while Blake and Murphy face Austin Aries and a mystery tag team partner.
WWE SmackDown spoilers
This episode was taped in Greenville, South Carolina, on May 17.
- Kevin Owens pinned Cesaro after a roll-up pin. The Miz and Sami Zayn were at ringside. An episode of MizTV likely aired to open SmackDown.
- Dana Brooke defeated Paige. Becky Lynch did guest commentary during the match.
- Dolph Ziggler pinned Sheamus. Post-match, Baron Corbin cut a promo for his match against Ziggler at Extreme Rules.
- In-ring segment: As Chris Jericho cuts a promo, the Steel Cage lowers and Dean Ambrose sneaks into the ring to attack Jericho.
- The “Make Darren Young Great Again” campaign continues.
- Big Cass pinned Bubba Ray Dudley as The New Day & Big Cass defeated The Dudley Boyz & the Vaudevillains in an 8-Man Tag Team Match.
- No Contest between Roman Reigns and Luke Gallows as The Family and The Bullet Club got involved. AJ Styles was the last man standing as SmackDown ends. During SmackDown, it will also be announced that Gallows and Anderson of The Club will face Jimmy and Jey Uso in a Texas Tornado Tag Team Match at Extreme Rules.
These SmackDown spoilers have been corroborated by Wrestle Zone.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- WWE News — ‘NXT TakeOver: Dallas’ (The Live Experience & Results)
- Who are ‘The Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter?
- WWE News: Florida Citrus Bowl Is Likely Candidate For WrestleMania 33
- WWE: ‘Total Divas’ Recap — Nikki Bella Rehabs Injury With John Cena [News]
- Is John Cena Taking A Break From WWE To Be On ‘Celebrity Apprentice’? [WWE News]
WWE NXT spoilers
The only match confirmed by WWE.com’s preview of tonight’s NXT is Bayley vs. Nia Jax. Those who watched last week’s show also know that Blake and Murphy will face Austin Aries and a mystery partner. Since WWE NXT is taped several weeks in advance, we know the full card and results for this week’s episode.
NOTE: WWE doesn’t always post a full list of matches for upcoming episodes of WWE NXT, and that is true for this week’s episode as well. According to multiple sources, the following matches and segments for tonight’s episode were taped at Full Sail University on April 28.
- NXT Women’s Champion Asuka defeats Athena by submission.
- Austin Aries and Shinsuke Nakamura defeat Blake and Murphy, and tension between members of both teams are teased.
- Carmella defeats Peyton Royce by submission.
- Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa defeat Danny Birch and Rob Rizin
- Nia Jax defeats Bayley by pinfall.
- American Alpha defeat The Revival by submission.
- It is also likely to be announced that the match at NXT TakeOver for the NXT Championship between Samoa Joe and Finn Balor will be a Steel Cage Match.
The above WWE NXT spoilers have been confirmed by Cageside Seats.
Where To Watch
WWE Extreme Rules 2016 will air live on the WWE Network on Sunday, May 22 at 8/7c. The WWE Extreme Rules Kick-Off Show begins at 7/6c.
The WWE Network airs new episodes of WWE NXT on Wednesdays at 8/7c. It is available for streaming on-demand immediately. Additionally, on Thursdays, replays of WWE NXT are available to stream on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription.
USA airs WWE SmackDown at 8/7c. While they are not made available on the WWE Network for several weeks after they air on USA, replays of WWE SmackDown are made available on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription starting Friday.
[Image via WWE]