Harrison Ford And Steven Spielberg Confirmed For Fifth ‘Indiana Jones’ Film

Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg are returning for a fifth Indiana Jones film, Disney and LucasFilm confirmed on Tuesday.

As previously reported by the Inquisitr, rumors swirled over a possible fifth installment of the adventurous archeologist, occasionally with reports that a different actor might take over the role from the 73-year-old actor, but nothing could be confirmed until today.

According to Mashable, Harrison Ford has said in the past that Indiana Jones is like a bad penny — he’ll always turn up. Well, that’s just fine by fans of the franchise.

The fifth installment comes none too soon. Harrison last appeared as the fedora-wearing archeology professor almost a decade ago in 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The first time Ford and his good friend Steven Spielberg brought Indy to the big screen came nearly 40 years ago with the 1981 classic, The Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Disney, which now owns Lucasfilm and the Indiana Jones franchise, said the untitled film is slated for a July 19, 2019, release.

Also back in the mix are producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy.

Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday.

“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019. It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”

The actor’s return to one of his most recognizable roles comes shortly after reprising the equally iconic Han Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

According to Variety, the four previous Jones films, including 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and 1989’s Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, have garnered nearly $2 billion in box office receipts worldwide.

Back in October, it was announced that a new Indiana Jones film was in the works but would not be made if its star, Harrison Ford, could not reprise his title role.

According to Den of Geek, producer Frank Marshall said that the famous role would always belong to Harrison Ford.

“We’re not doing the Bond thing where we’re going to call somebody else Indiana Jones.”

Of course, plot theories will soon be the topic du jour for the next three years. Even before the news hit the world that a fifth installment was confirmed, theories were blossoming.

Since Harrison Ford is not quite as young as he once was, but no less badass, some theories point to Indy passing on the torch — or the whip as the case may be — to either a son or protegé.

The announcement didn’t indicate who might be writing the screenplay for the film, although they surely have the best working on it right now.

So what do you think? What will be Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones’ latest adventure?

[Image via Twitter/Infinite Earths]