Eagles Of Death Metal: Jesse Hughes Sorry For ‘Baseless’ Comments On Bataclan Terror Attack

Eagles of Death Metal artist Jesse Hughes has apologized for what he calls “unfounded” and “baseless” comments he recently made about the security staff at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris.

Jesse Hughes of the band Eagles of Death Metal made the controversial comments during an interview with Fox Business Network recently, inferring security guards at the Bataclan concert hall, where 89 people died, were “complicit” in the terror attack. Basically, Hughes thought the attack might have been an “inside job.”

Hughes was asked during the interview if there was anything strange or “off” about the Bataclan venue on the night of the attack.

As reported by Rolling Stone, Hughes said he felt something was a little off when he arrived at the venue and noted the security guard – responsible for the backstage area of the Bataclan concert hall – didn’t even look at him as he walked in. He said he asked organizers if the security guard could be changed.

“I immediately went to the promoter and said, ‘Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on.'”

Hughes added that the promoter told him some of the other guards hadn’t arrived at the concert hall yet and Hughes eventually discovered six of the guards didn’t show up at all that night.

When asked if he knew why the security guards didn’t arrive at the Bataclan concert hall, Hughes said he couldn’t make an official statement “out of respect for the police investigating,” but added, “It seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up.”

His remark was said to infer that the six security guards had prior knowledge of the Paris terror attacks – and specifically the attack on Bataclan – that left 89 people in the concert hall dead.

As reported by Fox News, Jesse Hughes, 43, has now apologized in a statement on Friday for his controversial comments, saying, “My suggestions that anyone affiliated with the Bataclan played a role in the events of November 13 are unfounded and baseless—and I take full responsibility for them.”

“I humbly beg forgiveness from the people of France, the staff and security of the Bataclan, my fans, family, friends and anyone else hurt or offended by the absurd accusations I made in my Fox Business Channel interview.”

Hughes went on to say that his comments did not reflect the opinions of his band mates or anyone associated with Eagles of Death Metal and that, “The shame is 100 percent mine.”

The Eagles of Death Metal singer went on to explain that he had been suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder since the brutal attack at the Bataclan concert hall which also tragically took the life of the band’s merch manager, Nick Alexander.

He said he has been dealing with “non-stop nightmares” and is struggling through therapy to make sense of the tragedy and the insanity of the November 13 attack.

“I haven’t been myself since November 13. I realize there’s no excuse for my words, but for what it’s worth: I am sincerely sorry for having hurt, disrespected or accused anyone.”

After Hughes made his initial comments, a representative for the Bataclan concert hall denied Hughes’ claims, saying the singer had “spread some very grave and defamatory accusations against the Bataclan teams.”

The representative went on to say a judicial investigation is still ongoing and that they “wish to let justice proceed serenely.”

According to the Bataclan representative, all testimonies gathered so far go to demonstrate the professionalism and courage of the security guards who were on duty on the night of November 13, adding that hundreds of people were saved thanks to their efforts.

Jesse Hughes’ insinuations come after the singer recently slammed the strict gun control laws in France, reported recently by The Guardian, implying these laws contributed to the Paris terror attacks. He went on to ask if the gun control in the country had stopped a single person from dying at the Bataclan.

“If anyone can answer yes, I’d like to hear it, because I don’t think so. I think the only thing that stopped it was some of the bravest men that I’ve ever seen in my life charging head-first into the face of death with their firearms.”

Eagles of Death Metal postponed their tour after the Paris terror attacks and recently relaunched the tour. However, the band has again postponed the remainder of the Nos Amis European tour after Hughes reportedly suffered a hand injury.

[Photo by Victor Moriyama/Getty Images]