Sylvester Stallone will not be among those boycotting this year’s Academy Awards ceremony, but the 69-year-old actor certainly did consider it. Stallone won a Golden Globe last month for his performance as his iconic character, Rocky Balboa, and is considered a front-runner at this year’s Oscars. However, he was on the fence about attending the ceremony due to the #OscarsSoWhite controversy that continues to surround the event. At Monday’s luncheon for the 2016 nominees at the Beverly Hilton, Stallone told Entertainment Weekly that it wasn’t until he spoke to his Creed director, Ryan Coogler, that he decided to attend.
“I remember I spoke with Ryan Coogler when this [#OscarsSoWhite controversy] happened. I said, ‘Ryan how do you want to handle this? Because I really believe you are responsible for me being here,’ ” Stallone said.
“Michael Jordan, every time I looked in his eyes as an actor, I said, he was making me better. I think he should’ve been given a lot more respect and attention. [Coogler] goes, ‘Sly, just go there, try to represent the film, and we feel you deserve it. Eventually things will change.’ “
Stallone then reiterated: “I said, ‘If you want me to go I’ll go, if you don’t, I won’t.’ He said, ‘No I want you to go.’ That’s the kind of guy he is. He wants us to go and represent the film.”