With the season 1 finale of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead fast approaching, what can fans expect, especially moving forward into season 2? Let's have a look.
WARNING: This article contains information and speculation about season 1 and 2 of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead. Please proceed with caution if you have not yet viewed all available episodes.
For many Walking Dead fans, AMC's companion series Fear The Walking Dead has been a little off the mark in relation to zombie activity. However, as civilization falls, expect that to change pretty quickly. So what can fans expect to see in the season 1 finale and through into season 2 of Fear The Walking Dead? Here's everything we know so far.
- Victor Strand (played by Colman Domingo) is a character introduced in Episode 5 (entitled "Cobalt") of Fear The Walking Dead. Up until his character made an appearance, very little was known about him. Now, however, we know he is wealthy as well as not infected. According to Fear's showrunner, Dave Erickson, Victor Strand was locked up because he was "at the wrong place, at the wrong time" but will be on the scene for quite some time as well. As he told Yahoo!, Strand will "become the latest addition to [the] large blended family" in Fear The Walking Dead. Although, some fans are already speculating that Strand has the potential to become someone like the Governor was in The Walking Dead, which may not bode well for the other main characters.
- Daniel Salazar (Rubén Blades) was considered a refugee of sorts, up until Episode 5 of Fear The Walking Dead. However, we now know that even though Daniel and his wife, Griselda (Patricia Reyes Spíndola), immigrated from El Salvador, it wasn't to escape the cruelties of the civil war there; it was because Daniel had had a hand in those cruelties. Now, moving forward into the season 1 finale and beyond into season 2 of Fear The Walking Dead, Daniel's daughter, Ofelia (Mercedes Mason), will have to deal with the fact her father was not the gentle man she grew up with. "The irony is that in season 2 [Ofelia]'s in a situation where she wishes her father were the kind and benevolent person she thought he was, and she'll realize that as she continues to face the new world, that person she thought Daniel was is not helpful to our group," Dave Erickson recently told the Hollywood Reporter. Daniel will also have to cope with the loss of his wife, Griselda, in season 2 of Fear. But, even during his grief, he will move forward as he still has his daughter to protect, and that will be his new motivation for surviving the zombie apocalypse.
- There has been some speculation that the stadium with 2,000 walkers inside that Corporal Andrew Adams (Shawn Hatosy) speaks of during his interrogation with Daniel is the same place as the medical facility where Liza (Elizabeth Rodriguez) and Dr. Bethany Exner (Sandrine Holt) work. According to Dave Erickson, this is not the case. However, the location of it will be revealed in the season 1 finale of Fear The Walking Dead. He also told THR that Daniel may be able to use this threat to his advantage.
"Daniel is quicker to accept the idea of what's behind those doors — it's not that they're zombies, it's that they're a threat. And for him, anything that's a threat, there is an efficient way to deal with that."
- Episode 5 of Fear The Walking Dead was called "Cobalt." Walking Dead fans who have been following the evolution of Fear since before it was even really a concept will know that, originally, Fear The Walking Dead went under the working title of "Cobalt." Using this title for an episode title was definitely a nod to Fear's early beginnings. While Cobalt may be an inside joke to the Fear creators, the word has a terrifying meaning for the characters within Fear The Walking Dead. Basically, Cobalt is the code word for the tactical retreat and "humane extermination" for those left in the quarantine zones of L.A. The season 1 finale of Fear will deal with how the civilian characters escape -- or otherwise -- the military retreat. However, Erickson points out to THR that while it is a retreat, the authorities haven't quite given up on society yet. They will, instead, retreat to a safer area in order to regroup.
- In Episode 5, Liza (Elizabeth Rodriguez) discovered that everyone is infected in Fear The Walking Dead. Now, it seems, it will be up to her to relay that information back to the core characters in the season 1 finale and forward into season 2 -- so long as everyone in the L.A. quarantine zone escapes before Cobalt is fully enacted.
- The season 1 finale of Fear The Walking Dead will be the "deadliest episode" so far according to Erickson.
"It will be the deadliest episode of the season. There's a ticking clock. Travis, Madison, Daniel, Alicia and Chris are going to find out that their community isn't safe anymore. They're not going to have the protection that they thought they thought they would... What Daniel did worked and now he has information and pieces that are going to enable the group to hopefully take some action going into the finale and try to save their people — and themselves."
- Episode 5 of Fear The Walking Dead saw Alicia (Alycia Debnam-Carey) and Chris (Lorenzo James Henrie) getting friendly as they got drunk and trashed a house; now there is speculation of a romance in the future for these teenagers that are -- for all intents and purposes -- step siblings. Dave Erickson had this to say about the potential romance when Yahoo! questioned him.
"We have talked about that. I won't say yes or no. I think there's a little bit of a creepy stepsister/stepbrother thing, which we probably will avoid. I think it's an innocent moment, and it has a certain flirtatious quality to it."
- Travis will still be grappling with the fact the infected are no longer human or curable in the season 1 finale and through into season 2 of Fear The Walking Dead.
- The very first installment of Fear The Walking Dead: Flight 462 will premiere during the season 1 finale of Fear The Walking Dead. This mini series will tell the story of what would happen in the Walking Dead universe if you were on a plane when the zombie apocalypse hit. The series will consist of 16 small episodes (of around one minute each) and will air not only during the finale of Fear, but through into season 6 of The Walking Dead as well as online. The culmination of the series will introduce a brand new character for season 2 of Fear The Walking Dead. You can find out more about this mini series and who the new character might be in this previous Inquisitr article.
- Talking Dead will air directly after the season 1 finale of Fear The Walking Dead at 10.00 p.m. EST. This will be the first episode of Talking Dead to deal specifically with Fear The Walking Dead, so fans can get a breakdown of what happened in the season 1 finale.
What are your predictions for the season 1 finale of Fear The Walking Dead? Let us know your thoughts and theories by commenting below!
[Image credits: AMC / Justina Mintz]