Tori Spelling Tripped At A Benihana And Was Burned On Grill — Now She’s Suing Restaurant

Tori Spelling was eating Easter Sunday dinner at a California Benihana with her family earlier this year when she had a bit of an accident and ended up seriously burned.

Spelling hadn’t tucked into her meal yet, and somehow ended up tripping or slipping in the restaurant and fell, a witness told People.

“Not thinking, she grabbed onto the side of the hot grill and burned her arm. At the time, it didn’t seem as bad as the doctors told her it was the next day.”

Tori’s burns ended up being pretty bad. The injury has been described as “deep second and third-degree burn(s)… requiring hospitalization and surgery,” according to a personal injury suit filed by Spelling, 42, Wednesday, the New York Daily News reported.

After she fell on what has been specified as Benihana’s hibachi grill, Spelling ended up needing skin grafts on the back of her right arm, E! Online added. In photos afterward, Tori was seen wearing a compression sleeve — to prevent infection and scarring complications — and by June with a large patch of red skin on her arm.

Tori wants compensatory damages from the restaurant to the tune of $25,000. Through the suit, Spelling wants compensation for wage loss, hospital and medical expenses, and loss of earning capacity.

Spelling has also demanded a trial by jury.

The incident happened while Tori dined at Benihana with a few friends, her four children, and husband Dean McDermott.

At the time, he spoke to the press and downplayed Tori’s injury. He also didn’t indicate that they were thinking about taking legal action.

“It was an unfortunate accident. (Tori) had a little burn. We turned it around and had a lovely Easter.”

But the burn was anything but “little.” Inside Edition talked to Chef Georgia Pellegrini, who described in gory detail just how dangerous the grills can be.

“It can happen really quickly in the matter of a second or two. If it is a really hot grill like it is at Benihana, you are literally cooking a piece of meat on that grill and you are blistering your skin in a second or less.”

And diners have been burned at restaurants before.

In 2009, a child was burned in a Japanese steakhouse in Washington and fellow customers had to call 911. And a woman in Miami was burned when a banana flambé desert was prepped at her table and the flames got out of control.

[Photo Courtesy Jerod Harris/Getty Images]