Legendary Pro Wrestling Journalist Corrects Erroneous Media Reports Regarding Jimmy Snuka Murder Case

Mike Bessler

As news broke on Tuesday that legendary pro wrestler Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka was charged with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the 1983 death of his then-girlfriend Nancy Argentino, many media outlets rushed to relay details of the story in short order. According to legendary pro wrestling journalist Bill Apter, a number of news services and websites got at least one crucial detail wrong in bringing the developing story to the public, and Apter took to the Internet to set the matter straight.

Apter, who currently covers the world of professional wrestling for 1Wrestling, was once a prolific writer and editor for magazines such as Pro Wrestling Illustrated and World of Wrestling and remains one of the most respected reporters in the business today. In a YouTube post regarding the Snuka case, Apter said he was "furious" that mainstream news sources and other outlets erroneously reported that the wrestler had been arrested at his home and incarcerated.

"TMZ and thousands of websites that picked up the news, and even local afternoon newspapers and some TV stations, are saying that 'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka was arrested in his home in New Jersey today … Read my lips: Wrong! It didn't happen. Not at all."

A short time after posting his first video, Bill Apter posted a follow-up piece to YouTube, expounding on how arraignments work and applying that information specifically to the Snuka case. Apter noted that he consulted with a family member who is an attorney to get clarification on the aforementioned procedures.

"[Snuka] and his wife went to the arraignment," Apter said. "After the arraignment and the charges were levied, technically you are 'arrested' in order to have bail set. So, technically, he was arrested but not arrested at home in New Jersey as reported. He posted bail and is at home with his family currently."

TMZ's initial report still indicates that 72 year-old Jimmy Snuka was "taken into custody at his home in NJ." A Rolling Stone article on the matter also indicates that Snuka was detained in the Lehigh County Jail subsequent to his "arrest." Reports regarding the amount of bail set and subsequently posted by Snuka vary as well, with some suggesting the amount was $100,000 and others indicating an amount as high as $500,000.

According to Deadspin, Snuka was released on Tuesday after posting 10 percent of a $100,000 bond and surrendering his passport. Although the charges against Snuka are serious, it is believed he was ultimately granted pretrial release because he is currently undergoing treatment for stomach cancer. Future proceedings will be scheduled by the Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas.

[Image via Wrestling News World]