A Third Of Millennials Identify As Bisexual, Says New Study

Whether it’s cell phones, social media, or swiping right on Tinder, millennials have drastically different lifestyles than their parents or grandparents, but now there’s one more difference.

A new study by the polling website YouGov shows almost 30 percent of millennials and almost half of all young British millennials consider themselves at least somewhat bisexual.

“Younger Americans are noticeably less likely than their elders to put themselves in a firm category. The older someone is the less likely they are to say that they have fluid sexual attractions.”

Researchers asked 1,000 adults to rate themselves on the Kinsey scale from a “0” of exclusively heterosexual to a “6” of exclusively homosexual. They discovered one in three millennials consider themselves at least somewhat bisexual.

30 percent of millennials report as bisexual

When comparing sexual preferences, millennials are more likely than their parents and grandparents to identify as bisexual. Overall, 22 percent of Americans consider themselves somewhat bisexual while 29 percent of millennials identify that way.

Overall, the study shows 78 percent of Americans reported as heterosexual, four percent reported as homosexual, and the remaining 22 percent were somewhere in between.

When researchers asked the same question in Britain they uncovered an even greater difference in attitude between the generations.

Overall, 23 percent of British citizens consider themselves bisexual while almost 50 percent of British millennials identify that way.

“With each generation, people see their sexuality as less fixed in stone. People of all generations now accept the idea that sexual orientation exists along a continuum rather than a binary choice.”

The sexual preference scale was developed by researcher Alfred Kinsey, who helped found the field of sexology, in the 1940s at the Institute for Sex Research at Indiana University. The characters in the Showtime series Masters of Sex are researchers following in his footsteps.

Almost one third of young Americans are bisexual

Along with changing their ideas on sexual preferences, today’s millennial generation have also lost faith in the American dream. As they were growing up, baby boomers and Gen Xers believed that hard work and dedication would take them from rags to riches. Today, however, millennials realize the Great Recession and a challenging job market have largely erased the prospects their parents enjoyed.

The Pew Research Center defined millennials as confident, self-expressive, liberal, upbeat, and open to change as well as ethnically and racially diverse.

Whatever your views one thing is certain, today’s millennials see the world differently than baby boomers.

Photo by Chris Jackson/Oleg Nikishin/Frazer Harrison/Getty Images