The console versions of Minecraft are getting their first significant update since January, plus some new skin packs. Mojang and 4J Studios revealed the changes that are hitting Minecraft: Xbox and PlayStation Editions as part of Title Update 25 (TU25), to be released Wednesday, July 1. A free skin pack is also coming to celebrate MineCon 2015, plus PlayStation owners are getting a new Mash-up Pack.
Update: TU25 has been released for all platforms. The LittleBigPlanet Mash-up Pack is out now in Europe, but not North America. The MineCon Skin Pack is not out yet.
Update 2: The MineCon Skin Pack is available on the Xbox Store.
The big new features in the Minecraft TU25 release are the ability to customize Superflat worlds and to use the same crafting mode as the PC version of the game. The latter has been one of the obvious changes since Minecraft came to consoles, as 4J Studios originally designed the crafting interface to automatically craft items as long as the materials were in hand. Enabling the Classic Crafting option will mean placing items in the right spot on a workbench or other crafting tools, too.
Interestingly, the ability to use a USB keyboard for the Book and Quill was added. Xbox 360 users can also use the Chatpad that attaches to the controller, but it does not appear to be available on the PS Vita. This is perhaps a first step towards players being able to code their own Command Blocks in the future to create even greater customized Minecraft worlds.
MineCon 2015 kicks off next week, and Mojang is giving away a free bundle of MineCon skins to both PlayStation and Xbox owners. It is completely free and will only be available until July 16 on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network.
— LittleBigPlanet (@LittleBigPlanet) June 30, 2015
Finally, Minecraft: PlayStation Edition owners can download a brand-new mash-up pack featuring Sackboy and friends. LittleBigPlanet-themed textures, characters, creatures, and music are all included.
Here is official the list of changes that are coming to Minecraft: PlayStation and Xbox versions with TU25 via a 4J Studios post to the Minecraft Forums.
PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS Vita Changes and Additions
- Added Oak Wood Fence, Spruce Wood Fence, Birch Wood Fence, Jungle Wood Fence.
- Added Oak Wood Fence Gate, Spruce Wood Fence Gate, Birch Wood Fence Gate, Jungle Wood Fence Gate.
- Added Oak Wood Door, Spruce Wood Door, Birch Wood Door, Jungle Wood Door.
- Added Iron Trapdoor, Inverted Daylight Sensor, Book and Quill, Stained Glass and Stained Glass Panes.
- Added Custom Superflat User Interface, allowing players to customize superflat world generation.
- Added new in-game options to allow changing game mode, difficulty setting, time of day, and spawn position per player, and disable or enable ambient cave sounds, and weather settings.
- Split Load/Join interface into Create/Load/Join.
- Changed Game Mode selection to a slider
- Added Classic Crafting option, so you can now craft the same way as on the Java version if you really want to! This option is available in the UI settings menu.
- Enabled USB keyboard use for Book and Quill. (PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360)
- Enabled Chatpad use for Book and Quill. (Xbox 360 only)
- Added LittleBigPlanet Mash-up Pack trial content (PlayStation only)
PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS Vita Fixes
- Fixed a crash when a lot of Redstone Dust was used.
- Fixed various incorrect tooltip issues.
- Fix for mined item entities sometimes appearing at the top of the world, rather than spawning where the block is destroyed.
- Fix for an issue with corrupt capes on characters.
- Fix for an issue where players could open Trapped Chests, Droppers, Hoppers and Beacons even though “Can Open Containers” was off.
- Fixed a crash when a flaming arrow shot from a Dispenser hits TNT.
PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita Fixes
- Fixed a memory leak causing crashes after prolonged play sessions.
- Fixed a problem with dropped items sinking below the ground.
- Fixed an issue with TNT explosions.
- Fixed a problem with baby villagers’ collision height.
PS3 Only Fix
- Fixed an issue with the Steampunk Texture Pack
[Images via Mojang]