The Destiny 1.1.2 update released today not only fixed various issues and added new features to the PlayStation and Xbox shooter, it also seeded some new content for the upcoming House of Wolves expansion. The enterprising data miners at DestinyDB quickly went to work after the patch was released and discovered some interesting clues as to what to expect with the “Prison of Elders” Arena, along with a possible second new social space.
This data mining exercise helps explain why today’s update weighed in at 4.3 GB on the Xbox One and just over 6 GB on the PlayStation 4. Just like with The Dark Below, Bungie is using updates to deliver the House of Wolves expansion content to Destiny prior to its actual release. In other words, don’t be surprised when the update to unlock the second expansion is exceptionally small, because everything is already on your console hard drive.
With that out of the way, the interesting bits of information were shared in a reddit thread. Surprisingly, it hints at not one, but two new social spaces. The previously revealed Reef social space is officially dubbed “Queen’s Bay,” and is described as a place where you “collect Reef bounties, forge new allegiances, and test [yourselves] in the Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris.”
The second social space is called “Halls of Amentet,” named after the Egyptian goddess of the dead. It is located on Mercury and serves as a three-player social space described as “Only true champions, tested in the Trials of Osiris, dare set foot in these fabled halls.” We’ll have to wait for more details on what that actually means.
The Prison of Elders Arena space also received an official description: “This combat arena pits brave Guardian Fireteams against the solar system’s deadliest enemies. Not all who enter survive, but those who do earn glory … and the greatest treasures of the Reef.”
That appears to confirm a couple of points of speculation for the Raid replacement activity in House of Wolves. Firstly, the three-person fireteams will be facing off against all the different enemies in the game and not just one race. Secondly, there will be a chance to earn high level Legendary and Exotic gear through the new activity.
Now, we just have to wait for Bungie to reveal The Prison of Elders gameplay to convince Destiny fans that it is an acceptable substitute for a full Raid.
There’s a potential new Strike called “The Shadow Thief” discovered, as well. “Taniks-Syn, the Fallen’s most notorious mercenary, is leading a strike force on the Moon. Board his Ketch and kill him or he will continue to cut a trail of death across the system,” the description reads.
That sounds somewhat similar to the “Belly of the Beast” Strike that was part of a previous leak, since it also took place on the moon and mentioned a Ketch. The difference is that “The Shadow Thief” doesn’t mention the “infamous Walker” that the previous leak outed.
The new Story missions and Quests descriptions were also revealed. As expected, the setup looks very similar to the same that were released for The Dark Below. We’ll have to wait and see if they play differently.
- A Joining of Houses — “Scour the Cosmodrome. Find and assassinate the Wolves’ Baron and any of his co-conspirators.”
- An Army of Wolves — “Track the House of Wolves through the caldera on Venus. Kill the Wolf pack before their Kell, Skolas, can rally the Fallen House of Winter to his cause.”
- The World Ravager — “Skolas has his eyes set on the Vex Citadel on Venus. Capture him before he can plunder the secrets of space and time.”
- Dark Raider — “A High Priest of the House of Wolves has been sent to the Hellmouth. Track him and his crew. Stop them from stealing the Hive’s darkest secrets.”
- Duel of the Silent Fang — “Locate and eliminate Skolas’s elite assassins, the Silent Fang.”
- Wolves’ Gambit — “A pack of Fallen Wolves is picking a fight with the Vex on Venus. Head along the Shattered Coast and track down the Wolves to uncover Skolas’s plan.”
What do you think of this content leak for Destiny‘s House of Wolves expansion? Sound off in the comments below.
[Images via Bungie]