A lucky few have been playing the Starhawk closed beta for going on several months now, but now it looks like Sony and developer Lightbox are gearing up to launch a public beta starting next week.
“We’re now happy to announce that the Starhawk Public Beta begins this Tuesday, January 17th,” SCEA senior producer Harvard Bonin wrote on the PlayStation Blog. This is a crucial step for us as we’ll be testing all sorts of things, including game balance, server traffic, and general bugs.
“This is also a chance for more players to finally see what we’ve been working so hard on. As we’ve been getting so much support and encouragement from fans and press alike, we’re excited to spread the love and get more input to make the best game possible.
In order to get into the first phase of Starhawk’s public beta, which starts on January 17-18, you’ll need to be a PlayStation Plus subscriber. Alternatively, Uncharted 3 owners who activated their online pass can wait until January 31, at which point Sony will hand out invites by way of email.
If you don’t meet any of those criteria, Sony says there will be plenty of opportunities to get in through various means, including the final phase of testing which sees the Starhawk beta open to everyone with a PSN account.
For more details on how you can get in, see below.
- January 17/18: All PlayStation Plus subscribers and all Private Beta participants (who haven’t erased their original Beta files).
- January 31/February 1st: Uncharted 3 players will receive an email on how to access the beta. In order to get this email you’ll have had to redeemed your Online Network Pass found inside the boxed copy and made sure you’ve opted into receiving marketing emails.
- February 7 (US): Visit GameStop and PlayStation on Facebook and see how you can get early voucher codes.
- February 14: IGN.com (details to be revealed soon).
- February 21/22: Everyone with a PlayStation Network account… in other words, everyone who wants in, gets in!