Ubisoft is polling gamers on what they’d like to see in the next Far Cry game. The series has been set on tropical islands, a failed African country, and the Himalayas so far for the PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. Could Far Cry 5 gain an even wilder setting? Some of the options the developer is offering suggest so.
The Far Cry poll was sent to players over the Christmas holidays, some of who forwarded the questions to Eurogamer. Some of the most outlandish ideas include a sci-fi setting on another planet, a Jurassic Park style setting on an island full of dinosaurs, a “Mad Max-style-post-apocalyptic world,” vampires, and zombies.
There are also some interesting real world settings available as well. A remote Alaskan wilderness survival game is hinted at, a Vietnam war setting, the “cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru,” a “Spaghetti Western” setting, and a return to Far Cry 4‘s lands.
The one thing that the Far Cry series has been consistent about is to not return to the same characters and settings as previous games. That’s why it is interesting to see that not only is Shangri-La from Far Cry 4 listed, but so is a possible sequel to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. That wild retro-80s send up of the action was a stand-alone expansion to Far Cry 3 full of neon and Michael Biehn.
Ubisoft creative director Alex Hutchinson told IGN in November not to expect a Blood Dragon game for Far Cry 4, but did say he hoped Ubisoft would “be able to surprise you with something just as much.” It’s unclear if Ubisoft is interested in a true sequel or a stand-alone expansion or both, but the options available in the questionnaire are definitely varied.
- A Far Cry game in remote Alaska about surviving extreme wilderness
- A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
- A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s
- A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
- A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
- A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the 19th century Americas
- A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak
- Blood Dragon 2: A sequel to Blood Dragon
- A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic world
- A Far Cry game in the present day on a Jurassic Park style island of dinosaurs
- A Far Cry game based on the world of Shangri-La from Far Cry 4
Where would you like to see the next Far Cry game go? Sound off in the comments below.
[Image via Far Cry]