Sony Might Have Given ‘The Interview’ A New Release, Find Out Where

Update: According to Comicbook.com, The Interview will be allowed by Sony to appear at select independent theaters. Pehaps it is because North Korea’s internet has went dark, according to the Inquisitr. We may never know.

The Interview, the most talked about never-before-seen film from Sony pictures, might finally have a place to call home for its initial release. Sony, who had previously pulled the Christmas release of The Interview due to pressure from hackers, has been contemplating how and when to release the embattled film.

According to the New York Post, there is one outlet that would be fitting for Sony to drop the Interview: Crackle. The newspaper gave a near certain report that it was in fact Crackle that would be the new location of the premiere.

“Sony’s current plan for The Interview is to release the controversial comedy for free on Crackle, the streaming service it owns, sources said Sunday.”

The Sony film has been the focus of intense discussion, opinion, and criticism in recent weeks over the bowing to pressure from the hackers and North Korea. Even though the Inquisitr reported that Sony was considering such a move, Business Insider reports that this is merely a rumor. The New York Post cited unnamed sources. A Sony representative told Re/code that this was false.

The Sony representative stated the New York Post‘s report was “inaccurate.” Of course, that does not mean it can not be released on Crackle, especially considering Sony owns the mobile app. So it would make sense to release it on their app, if they are not interested in recouping their financial loss from making the film. Business Insider reports that Sony did confirm that The Interview will be released, even if we do not know when or where.

“It will be distributed. How it’s going to be distributed I don’t think anybody knows quite yet. But it’s going to be distributed.”

They are considering all potential outlets to release the film, according to CNN. It was all part of an interview that Sony’s CEO Michael Lynton had with CNN. In that interview about, well, The Interview, Lynton explained what the future of their embattled film would be.

“There are a number of options open to us and we have considered and are considering them. While there have been a number of suggestions that we deliver this movie digitally or via VOD [Video On Demand], there has not been one major VOD distributor, one major e-commerce site, that has stepped forward and said they’re going to distribute this for us. Again, we don’t have that direct interface with the American public, so we need to go through an intermediary to do that.”

It is probably important to note that Crackle was not mentioned, but then again, no specific platform was mentioned in the interview. So, for now, we merely have an “inaccurate” report from the post. However, Sony would obviously not want anyone to know what their plans are at this moment. It is still anyone’s guess, but if they go for free, then Crackle would make sense.

So, what are your thoughts? Publicity stunt or legitimate drawback?

Leave your thoughts.

[Image via BalkanAndroid]