A mom found a giant piece of mold in her daughter’s Capri Sun juice pouch and now video of the disgusting discovery is going viral online.
Hawaii resident Marty Sunderland said she and her family were taking a trip to the beach and picked up a pack of Capri Sun. But once her daughter opened one, she found some pieces of a slimy brown solid and a disgusting taste.
So Sunderland decided to open the Capri Sun pouch on camera, revealing a giant piece of brown, slimy mold.
Though the find was disgusting, it’s actually not a new problem for Capri Sun. Kraft Foods has been dealing with reports of mold found in Capri Sun pouches for some years now and even instituted a clear bottom on the juice pouches to put customers at ease.
“The reality is, mold spores are literally everywhere,” said Caroline Krajewski, a spokeswoman for Kraft Foods, earlier this year. “Most foods, especially those without artificial preservatives, eventually spoil and get moldy.”
Kraft even addressed the Capri Sun mold issue in its company’s FAQ:
“Why does mold grow in preservative-free juice drinks?”
“Although it’s very rare, it is possible for food mold to grow inside containers of preservative-free juice drinks that are exposed to air. What usually forms is a common food mold, similar to what might grow on fruit or bread. In the past, experts have told us there are no significant or long-term health effects associated with consuming this type of mold.”
“What kind of mold is it?”
“We’ve had an independent lab analyze a sample and it was confirmed to be mold—a common food mold, similar to what might grow on fruit or bread. Experts have told us there is no significant or long-term health effects associated with consuming this type of mold, though we understand how bad of an experience it can be.”
“The photo I saw looks like a worm. How could you say it’s mold?”
“In some cases when people think they have found a “worm” inside a Capri Sun pouch it was actually mold. The mold takes the form of a straw, which can then be mistaken as a worm since it is long and thin. While this is not a common occurrence, it can potentially happen because the product is free of artificial preservatives.”
The excuses apparently weren’t enough for Marty Sunderland. She wrote that after finding mold in her daughter’s Capri Sun pouch, the drink is now banned from her home.