Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

Three months after Amy Winehouse’s “sudden and unexpected death,” an inquiry has revealed the events leading up to the singer’s demise at the age of 27.

Winehouse’s struggles with drugs and alcohol were well documented, but her death was still a surprise to many as it appeared she was making significant improvements and looking after herself more aggressively in the weeks before she died. The inquest into Winehouse’s death revealed that after three weeks of sobriety, Amy fell into a pattern she’d experienced before of relapsing- but that the final time was fatal.

At the time of her death, Winehouse had consumed five times the legal limit of alcohol for driving, 80mg per 100ml of blood- her blood alcohol level was 416mg of alcohol per 100mls. Law enforcement officials responding to the scene found three bottles of vodka near Winehouse’s body. The coroner noted that 200mg of alcohol is an amount that would cause loss of reflexes, and that 350mg approaches risk of fatality.

The night before her death, Dr. Christina Romete, Winehouse’s GP, met with the singer. She said:

“The advice I had given to Amy over a long period of time was verbal and in written form about all the effects alcohol can have on the system, including respiratory depression and death, heart problems, fertility problems and liver problems… She had her own way and was very determined to do everything her own way. Including any form of therapy. She had very strict views.”

St. Pancras coroner Suzanne Greenway noted:

“[Amy] had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre (of blood) and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death.”