PlayStation and Xbox Destiny players have grown restless with the grind of turning in Rare and Legendary Engrams to the Cryptarch, only to get something that feels neither rare nor legendary in return. Bungie announced changes to the loot system that are desperately needed now that the developer has shut down the loot caves.
Coming soon to a Tower vendor near you! http://t.co/CkU30yCKeL
— Bungie (@Bungie) September 26, 2014
Starting with patch 1.02 next week, rare and legendary engrams in Destiny will decode to at least an item of the same quality. Bungie made the announcement in an update to their website Friday that will hopefully put an end to a major source of complaint with the MMO-like shooter. In the update announcing the nerfing of loot caves, Bungie also mentioned that it would also make activities more rewarding than shooting endlessly into a hole. The developer is following up with that promise with this patch by adding Rare and Legendary Engrams to the rewards for the Daily Heroic, Weekly Heroic, and Vanguard: Tiger playlists. These changes were received well on Twitter and on Reddit. Destiny players finally have a reason to not loathe the Cryptarch and his random decoding of Engrams.
— Jemjr (@jemjr730) September 26, 2014
Well this seems to tick a decent amount of boxes in terms of peoples’ complaints. Hopefully this relieves some of the tension. – SoverientyFWC
Very awesome! Glad to see that Bungie is responding fairly promptly to the backlash that this latest hotfix received. Even if the changes aren’t instant it’s good to see an update about it. – Nix_
The complete list of changes in the 1.02 Hotfix patch is below. Note Bungie’s trademark humor both at the beginning and the end.
- Cayde-6 took the Cryptarch aside and showed him a sack of doorknobs. He decoded that mystery pretty quickly.
- Legendary Engrams will always produce Legendary or better quality items, including Materials or Exotics
- Rare Engrams will always produce Rare or better quality items
- Rare engrams will have an increased chance to produce Legendary quality items
- Daily Heroics, Weekly Heroics, and Vanguard: Tiger Playlist activities will include Rare and Legendary Engrams in addition to their existing rewards
- Ascendant materials have been promoted to Legendary to closer associate them with the gear they are used to upgrade
- Legendary Engram items that exist in your inventory will be demoted to Rare quality when the patch goes live, so decode them while you can. But let’s be honest–even if you don’t, we all know they were blues already…
[Images via Reddit]