Rihanna shares a great deal of her life with fans via social media. From Twitter to Instagram, the Unapologetic singer basically lives in the media. From her career triumphs to her epic heartbreaks, the 26-year-old multi-platinum selling artist’s life has been an open book. However, there are some interesting facts about her that most fans may not know. Some of the small tid-bits just prove that she’s just as human as everyone else, while others shed light on her unique personality. But, nevertheless, they are the makings of the woman everyone knows as “Bad Girl RiRi!”
Check It Out:
1. Her name is actually pronounced Ri-enna, as opposed to Ri-ahna, although the world commonly refers to the latter.
2. Rihanna is of Afro-Guyanese, Barbadian and Irish descent. Her mother Monica Braithwaite, is of Afro-Guyanese descent, and her father Ronald Fenty, is Barbadian and Irish.
3. She loves Red Bull and Flaming Hot Cheetos. Her food of choice while on tour is mostly JUNK FOOD!
4. Before her shows, she has a tendency to sneak out into the audience in an oversized hoodie to disguise herself.
5. After three world tours, with a collective total of five tours overall, Rihanna still gets jitters before taking the stage. The “Where Have You Been” singer always tosses back a shot of liquor before going onstage.
6. Rihanna secretly struggled with severe headaches on a daily basis throughout her childhood. “I never expressed how I felt,”” she said. “I always kept it in. I would go to school…you would never know there was something wrong with me.”
7. She has witnessed an exorcism at a young age. “They were praying around this table,” she recalled. “We were young though, and one of the girls, she got up and she just started screaming. I remember they locked us in the bedroom because they didn’t want kids to see that. Every time they prayed she would start screaming in the weirdest voice. It’s funny now but at the time I was like s**ting myself!”
8. Rihanna was actually suppose to Katy Perry’s Maid of Honor when she married Russell Brand back in October of 2010. However, due to conflicts with her recording schedule, she couldn’t make the ceremony, which took place in Rajasthan, India.
9. She has a tattoo that’s written backwards across her collarbone. It says, “Never a Failure, Always a Lesson,” so she can read it when she looks in the mirror.
10. Her favorite song of her own is “Diamonds.” Before she recorded the 2012 hit single, “Umbrella” was her favorite.
11. Rihanna has declined posing for Playboy numerous times.
12. Her favorite movie is Napoleon Dynamite.
13. Giorgio Baldi is Rihanna’s favorite restaurant. Whenever she’s in L.A., she dines at Il Ristorante di Giorgio Baldi, requesting the same waiter, Marco, every time.
14. Psychology was her backup career move if she didn’t make it in the music industry.
15. Jay-Z signed Rihanna the same day he met her.
16. She admitted to feeling claustrophobic at the beginning of her career, because she felt she couldn’t be herself. “I feel like I was really really protected,” she has said. “Really guarded with myself. I feel like they were giving me the blueprint and I couldn’t get with that.”
17. Nothing bothers her more than when life is “perfect.” “That’s the sick part,” she has said. “I just love a challenge, whether it’s a relationship, my career, clothing…”
18. She had a midget stripper for her 22nd birthday party!
19. Rihanna actually hit her younger brother in the face with a glass bottle when they were younger.
20. RiRi adores Madonna! She’s even admitted that she initially wanted to be the “Black Madonna.” After her debut album Music Of The Sun, she became more adamant about putting her personal touch on her next project. “The other stuff I did was easy breezy—a lot of [it] I felt was stuff that any artist could have done. This one only a certain artist can do…. I want to be the black Madonna,” she said.
21. Rihanna always has custom shoes made by Manolo Blahnik. Nearly every pair of Blahniks she wears are custom due to her friendship with the opulent designer.
22. She wasn’t a fan of her debut single, “Pon de Replay” – at least not in the beginning! “I thought it sounded like a nursery rhyme,” she recalled. However, the double-platinum selling single eventually grew on her!
23. She never graduated from high school.
24. Rihanna was adamant about making a strip club track for her Unapologetic album. Chris Brown and Atlanta rapper Future actually suggested the salacious, catchy Mike Will beat which ultimately 2012 strip club anthem, “Pour It Up.”
25. Rihanna’s national holiday in Barbados is just two days away! In February 2008, Barbados officially deemed February 22 as a national holiday in honor of the singer. She even flew to home country that year to perform a special concert to show her gratitude for the esteemed honor.
26. HER 26TH BIRTHDAY IS TODAY! Rihanna was born February 20, 1988.
(Image via Rihanna, Facebook)