Super Mario 3DS is free if you register your Nintendo 3DS and any one of a list of games. This offer only lasts from November 27 through January 13.
Not to be confused with Super Mario 3D World, the 3DS version is called Super Mario 3D Land. It’s more of a 3D adaptation of the classic Mario gameplay, using some of the power-ups from its Wii U cousin. Even though it’s technically not that innovative, you can’t really complain when you’re getting it free.
All you need in order to qualify for your free download of Mario’s first 3DS adventure is a Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL, and one of the games listed below. You don’t have to purchase Nintendo’s portable gaming device within the time frame, but you must register it and one of the games selected with Club Nintendo. You will then be able to request a download code by February 13 for your free copy of Super Mario 3DS.
The games you will need to register along with the console are as follows:
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – The followup to Nintendo’s life simulator has you arriving in town as a new resident, but the populace mistakes you for the Mayor.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds – Nintendo’s flagship series continues with a return to the traditional top-down controls which started it, except now you can turn Link paper-thin and travel through walls to solve puzzles. What better game than Zelda to earn you a free copy of Super Mario 3DS?
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – This title brings back the sidescroller in a remake which uses actual 3D instead of clever sprite animations and layers.
- Fire Emblem: Awakening – The thirteenth game in the turn based tactical role playing game series, this title enables the player to match up characters and have children for future battles.
- Luigi’s Mansion 2 – Luigi is back to getting scared out of his mind as he travels through more than one mansion this time around, and once again sucks up ghosts with his trusty vacuum.
- LEGO CITY Undercover: The Chase Begins – This is the LEGO take on the buddy cop genre, which means you’ll witness a sense of humor, as well as see where Chase McCain got his start.
- Sonic Lost World (Nintendo 3DS version) – The plucky hedgehog faces off against an all new opponent. There are six of them, in fact, with a whole new world of animals to rescue. This would be an almost ironic way to get your free copy of Super Mario 3DS.
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS version) – Take on quests for the Guild, hunting, gathering, and capturing in your journey to advance in the ranks.
- Pokémon X – It’s time to catch ’em all again, in a new 3D world filled with pocket monsters that might even have Mega Evolutions. This is the game featuring the Legendary Pokémon Xerneas.
- Pokémon Y – It’s much like Pokémon X, but this version features the Legendary Pokémon Yveltal. Also like its sister title, this game brings back the starters from Pokémon Red and Blue.
- Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros. – Play as Mario in the world of Luigi’s dream.
- Bravely Default (including Bravely Default: Deluxe Collector’s Edition) – This is the role-playing spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 – This is the direct sequel to New Super Mario Bros., putting an extra emphasis on collecting coins. This would be a nice way to get two Mario games for the price of one as you get your free copy of Super Mario 3DS.
- Mario Kart 7 – The latest in the line of Nintendo’s racing titles introduces first-person racing and hang gliding.
- Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy – You are Professor Layton in a world where you must solve puzzles to advance and travel the globe.
Which games are you planning to grab and register for your free copy of Super Mario 3DS?