George Zimmerman will not be facing any charges after an alleged altercation with his estranged wife Shellie this weekend.
Zimmerman was taken into custody today but Police Chief Steve Bracknell said that Shellie has decided not to press charges.
Bracknell said: “Shellie Zimmerman has declined prosecution.”
Shellie called 911 on Monday morning and told the operator that George was threatening her with a weapon.
On the 911, call, Shellie says: “He’s in his car and he continually has his hand on his gun, and he’s saying, ‘Step closer.’ He’s just threatening all of us with his firearm… I don’t know what he’s capable of. I’m really, really scared.”
Zimmerman’s attorney Mark O’Mara said that tensions have been running high since the Trayvon Martin shooting and that things got a little out of hand today. O’Mara insists that Shellie and her father were the aggressors during the incident this morning but said that nobody should be facing charges.
O’Mara said: “Emotions are running very, very high… nobody should be facing charges… They need to just sort of stay away from each other, keep things cool and work though their attorneys.”
O’Mara also said that his client never removed the gun from his holster, saying: “The gun was holstered under his shirt, and it stayed there the whole time.”
Shellie Zimmerman filed for divorce last week in Seminole County. The divorce papers were filed a few days after she plead guilty to perjury. Shellie admitted that she lied about the couple’s finances during the Trayvon Martin trial and told the court that they were broke. In reality, however, the Zimmerman’s had collected more than $135,000 in donations.