John Clark Gable, the son of Hollywood legend Clark Gable, has been formally charged with hit-and-run in connection with an April car crash.
The 52-year-old was arrested for DUI after crashing his Ford Raptor into six parked cars near the Malibu Pier on April 2. He was also said to have rear-ended another vehicle. No injuries were reported.
Both charges are misdemeanors, and Gable could face jail time if convicted. He is scheduled to appear in front of a judge September 30.
According to TMZ, Gable was not drunk at the time of his arrest, but police believe that he was under the influence of prescription medication. Gable said he was taking pills for a minor leg injury that he sustained while mountain biking. He also said that the last thing he remembered before the car crash was getting cut off by a van and crashing into a telephone pole.
Gable said he was “absolutely not drinking” at the time of the crash, but admitted that he temporarily lost consciousness while behind the wheel. He said the blackout was likely caused by a brain aneurysm. He previously suffered brain aneurysms in 2006 and 2009, botch of which were treated with corrective surgeries.
A witness to the accident said, “The police guy opened the door for his truck and was telling him to get out of his truck. It took him a few seconds to get out of his truck and then finally when he got out, I guess he was in shock or something… He just fell on the floor.”
John Clark Gable was in the news last year after his girlfriend, Christiane Candice Lange, was found dead in their Malibu home. Homicide detectives were called to the scene, but officials did not suspect foul play. The Los Angeles County Chief Coroner said the death could have been natural, caused by prescription medications, or a heart attack.