A Montana man’s dog ate $500, and he wants the government to replace the chomped funds.
Wayne Klinkel is the unlucky man whose dog ate $500 in cash money, and the Montana resident has already gone above and beyond to recover his losses. Oh, yes, that means exactly what you think it means.
Klinkel’s 12-year-old Golden Retriever is the dog with the $500 appetite, and the Independent Record talked to the owner of Sundance, errant, elderly cash-munching canine.
While Klinkel is clearly displeased, he can laugh about it, and he told the paper:
“I thought ‘You dumb SOB,’ I couldn’t believe he did that.”
Klinkel and his wife had left the $500 and the dog in his truck during a road trip, along with a $1. As you can imagine, the dog ate the five hundreds, and left the $1. And half a Grant. Ones just taste cheap, you know?
Sundance’s owner explains:
“Sundance is notorious for eating anything and everything, so right away I knew what happened.”
As you can imagine, the next few days were not a walk in the park — well perhaps an actual walk in the park, but with gloves and a baggie. And when all was said and done, Klinkel explains, he had a pretty good case for a reimbursement from the feds:
“I pretty much recovered two fairly complete bills, and had some other pieces … But it wasn’t nearly enough there to do anything with it.”
Even more of the post-puppy digestive system cash showed up later, and the eaten $500 surfaced when snow melted. Klinkel says his daughter brought a few more pieces back when she visited her dad:
“She said ‘Oh, Dad, look what Coty found in the back yard.’ They found it after the snow had melted. She said they were shocked it hadn’t blown away. Good thing it’s a fenced yard.”
Klinkel went to the bank with the pieces but ultimately had to go all the way up the chain and is waiting to see if the government will replace the mostly-recovered $500 the dog ate. He says the family “has to wait and see what happens.”
Should Klinkel be reimbursed for the $500 his dog ate?