Rapper Nas Sued For $10 Million By Promoter Who Was Kidnapped In Angola
Hip Hop legend Nas is reportedly the subject of a federal lawsuit filed Friday.
According to Contact Music, Nas, considered one of the greatest lyricists ever, is being sued by a concert promoter who claims he was kidnapped because the rapper failed to show up for a concert in Angola last year.
The New York Daily reports Nas got a $300,000 advance to perform two New Year’s shows in Luanda, the South African nation’s capital. Nas skipped the scheduled performances and instead attended a New Year’s Eve engagement party at the home of hoops star LeBron James, the Daily notes.
In the lawsuit Patrick Allocco, the promoter in question, claims he and his son were held by gunpoint with a ransom placed on his head by Angolan promoters who were demanding their money back.
Allocco says that he remained in their custody for 50 days until the State Department finally intervened and Nas paid back the $300k.
Allocco is now demanding $10 million from Nas, claiming he suffered psychologically, physically and financially, whilst he was held for ransom.
He also claims that during his absence he was unable to conduct business anymore and, as a result, lost both his home and his company.
While Nas has not made any recent comments on the pending lawsuit, he did speak to MTV News about the matter in March 2012, stating that he was being used as a scapegoat by the promoter, and that the concert had significant planning issues.
“He wanted me to come to Africa for New Year’s. Which to me I thought would be the best way to spend New Year’s,” Nas said at the time. “You booked the flight, but no return flight. I didn’t have a visa. You didn’t send money til after I was supposed to jump on the plane to another country.”