The production for Bachelor in Paradise Season 4 was suspended over the weekend due to alleged misconduct committed by two contestants. While the network said it would take action after it has completed a thorough investigation, rumors of the show’s cancellation have been floating around.
A report by Good Morning America suggested the idea, saying that the alleged sexual misconduct could be “a very serious legal matter,” according to Deadline. Reports said that while filming in Mexico, the cast members of Bachelor in Paradise had been drinking all day as they try to make connections with each other.
However, DeMario Jackson and a female contestant (which other reports named as Corinne Olympios) reportedly got too raunchy and hooked up while in the pool. But the female contestant could be a victim as she was too drunk to consent. She might claim the Bachelor in Paradise producers should have protected her, but instead, they let things to escalate.
After the Bachelor in Paradise incident, one producer filed a complaint on the basis of misconduct at work. DeMario and the rest of the cast were sent home, and filming has been shut down indefinitely. DeMario said the alleged sexual encounter has been blown out of proportion and that the footage from the show should be able to vindicate him, according to Yahoo Celebrity.
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) June 12, 2017
When Jackson was spotted for the first time since the scandal broke, he was asked about what happened.
He told ET, “I have nothing to say. You know, Corinne’s an awesome girl and that’s all I have to say.”
Chris Harrison, the host of Bachelor in Paradise, released a statement in which he remains positive that the show would be back.
“Let me start by saying the safety and care of the cast and crew of our show is of the utmost importance to us. It is with this thought in mind that we made the decision to suspend filming,” he said, via ET.
He added that Warner Bros. is doing all it can to gather the facts quickly so it can decide on how to proceed with the reality series.
“It is my sincere hope that we can come to a quick resolution on this and get back to work very soon.”
— E! News (@enews) June 13, 2017
Although ABC and Warner Bros. have denied the cancellation of Bachelor in Paradise Season 4, a report from Variety suggests that it is imminent given the controversy.
A producer for the show said, “There is no way that Warner Bros. would be shutting down production on that show unless something happened that they could not possibly defend. You’re talking about a franchise that is worth millions of dollars to ABC. For them to shut the whole thing down and send everybody home and walk away, something happened that was not right.”
In addition, the investigation could take up to two weeks, which means that they would work on a tight schedule to meet the premiere schedule for August 8. Bachelor in Paradise Season 4 was on its first day of filming when the incident happened. If they decided to push through with it, the network might have to push back the date to another season.
[Featured Image by ABC Television Network]