Jay Cutler’s injury against the Houston Texans might have kept the Chicago Bears quarterback out of every practice last week — not to mention the trip to San Francisco on Sunday — but the 29-year-old expects to be back soon.
Cutler suffered a concussion against the Texans on November 11 after a brutal helmet-to-helmet hit from Tim Dobbins. However, Cutler revealed on Tuesday that his recovery is well underway. Returning to his weekly radio show on WMVP-AM (1000) on Tuesday, the quarterback remarked:
“I feel better. As normal as could be. We’re going through the process.”
For now, both Cutler and the Bears medical staff are playing it safe. The player has a lengthy history of concussions, so numerous clearances will have to be given before his return to action. Says Cutler:
“I’ve got a few more hoops to jump through. It’s really up to the player being truthful with the doctors and coaches and saying, ‘Hey, I don’t feel completely right,’ ”
In other Jay Cutler injury news, the quarterback said there was no “malicious intent” in the Tim Dobbins hit that put him out of action. In fact, the quarterback said he sympathised with the linebacker, who was fined $30,000 for his illegal challenge:
“[Tim] is out there reacting and playing football. At the end of the day, I wouldn’t want to be a defender. It’s hard. You’re expected to play at an extremely high level, but your target has shrunk.”
You can watch Tim Dobbins’ vicious helmet-to-helmet hit on Jay Cutler in the clip below: