Studio Wildcard released a new patch for the PC version of ARK: Survival Evolved late Monday night to make some quality of live improvements to the dinosaur survival game. The second phase of Procedurally Generated ARKs was also released to increase performance of the semi-random maps.
Patch 250.0 is the first of two planned updates for November and is now available to download from Steam. The second, patch 251.0, is scheduled for November 23 and has four new dinosaurs, revamped caves, and more performance improvements planned.
The big news for ARK: Survival Evolved builders is the ability to cycle through snap points has finally been added. Survivors have long suffered from moving their character around to find the correct snap point when placing walls, floors, ceilings, fences, and other objects. Cycling is done by pressing the ‘Q’ or ‘Z’ keys when placing an object.
Other quality of life improvements includes expanding the Preserving Bin capacity to 24 items. This means plenty of room for both fuel and items that need to be refrigerated now. Meanwhile, a new Dino command has been added to “Ignore all Whistles.” This means the dinosaurs you want to stay in one spot will indeed stay in one spot when a tribemate unthinkingly does a “Follow All” whistle.
Tribes no longer need to worry about their own members or allies setting off Tripwires now. A new option has been added for them not to be set off by friendlies with the default to not be set off by allies.
The ability to color lights is also new to ARK: Survival Evolved. Players can now paint the bulbs of electric lamps to create lights the color of the paint. This is just in time for the Christmas holidays around the corner.
Who else is loving the colored lights in v250 like we are? Rainbow bridge got more fabulous. Let's see those colored lights! pic.twitter.com/umxBCe0okz
— Adam (@thelilpanda) November 8, 2016
One notable change is Platform Dinos now add 20 percent of the weight from creatures and players standing on them. This is a significant balance change as they previously took none of the weight from players or other dinos standing on their platform.
Hunting Alpha dinosaurs got a little more rewarding with this ARK: Survival Evolved patch too. Alpha Mosasaurs on The Island and The Center have added quality fishing rods to their loot table. Meanwhile, killing Alpha Wyverns and Alpha Deathworms can reward trophy heads.
As covered by Inquisitr, Studio Wildcard is starting the process of wrapping up ARK: Survival Evolved to exit Early Access. A PlayStation 4 release is coming in December followed by the full launch of the game in early 2017. The next couple of months will be spent improving performance, improving quality of life, and adding missing features across all platforms.
Here are the complete patch notes for the ARK: Survival Evolved 250.0 patch
- Conclusion of Fear Evolved event: the Fear Evolved Structures will be removed, but any earned Cosmetic Items and ZombDodos/ZombWyverns remain!
- Fix of Procedurally Generated ARK crashes, massive reduction in generation and loading time, fix for PGM’s on Linux Servers and Mac & Linux Clients. (Wipes saved v1 PGM’s, now is v2)
- 1 new mythos Explorer Note for each character
- “Ignore All Whistles” option for Dinos
- Per-Alarm-Tripwire Option for Tripwires to not be set-off by Tribemates or Allied Tribes. (defaults to not be set off by Allies)
- Alpha Mosasaurs now drop quality fishing rods
- Preserving Bin now has 24 item slots
- Alpha Wyvern and Alpha Deathworm Trophy heads
- Platform Dinos now add 20% of the inventory weight from creatures/players standing on them (previously was 0%)
- Imprinted baby walking now respects the server’s “AllowAnyoneBabyImprintCuddle” setting
- Underwater mines no longer target wild dinos
- You can now paint the bulbs of electric lamps which will colorize the lighting which comes from them
- Fixed issue where you could upload engram-crafted items to Cross-Server and they would disappear
- Fixed issue with Industrial Cooker not properly using up water container when crafting
- Fixed an issue with unstasising structures occasionally being invisible on client
- Sloped Roofs now properly used for indoors calculation
- Redid all 3D Dino Dossiers to look & be more accurate to original 2D concepts
- Fixed longstanding issue of movement getting stuck on trees in permanent Falling physics state
- Snap Point Cycling! Press ‘Q’ (‘give default weapon’ key) or ‘Z’ (‘defecate’ key) when placing to cycle thru all nearby Snap Points
[Featured Image by Studio Wildcard]