mark-david-chapman parole-john-lennon killer

Mark David Chapman, John Lennon’s Killer, Seeking Parole

Officials say Mark David Chapman, the man who gunned down former Beatle John Lennon more than 30 years ago, is up for parole for the seventh time.

New York Department of Corrections spokeswoman Linda Foglia says Chapman is scheduled to be interviewed by members of the parole board this week. She says they could make a decision by Thursday or Friday.

According to the New York State Division of Parole, Chapman was last up for parole in 2010 but was denied because his “discretionary release remains inappropriate at this time and incompatible with the welfare of the community.”

He was also denied parole in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2008.

Chapman, 57, shot Lennon in December 1980 outside the Manhattan apartment building where the former British-singer-songwriter lived with this wife Yoko Ono. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced in 1981 to 20 years to life in prison.

Of the murder, Chapman previously told CNN:

“I made a horrible decision to end another human being’s life, for reasons of selfishness, and that was my decision at that time. I felt that by killing John Lennon I would become somebody, and instead of that I became a murderer and murderers are not somebodies.”

CNN reports that Chapman is currently in protective custody in a single-person cell and is allowed out three hours per day. He has reportedly had a clean prison record since 1994 and recently applied to participate in a program called “family reunion” that would allow him more time with family members.

Ono, who still owns apartments in the area where Lennon was shot, has written the board during Chapman’s previous bids for release, urging that he be denied parole. Her attorney reiterated her position in an email to CNN Saturday.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments