Indonesian Pop Star Dies Due To Snake Bite – Despite Fatally Bitten Onstage, Irma Bule Continued Performing Before Collapsing

Indonesian Pop Star Dies Due To Snake Bite: Despite Fatally Bitten Onstage, Irma Bule Continued Performing Before Collapsing

An Indonesian pop star died after a snake, which was part of her act, bit her. Irma Bule was famous for using venomous snakes and reptiles, but one of her king cobras fatally bit her, mid-performance. However, instead of seeking treatment, the singer continued performing, until she collapsed in front of a stunned crowd.

Indonesian pop star Irma Bule is dead after suffering a fatal bite from a king cobra. The extremely dangerous snake was part of her act on stage. Bule was bitten during the second song of her set at a regionally held concert. The pop star was performing in the village in Karawang, West Java, which is east of Jakarta, in her native Indonesia, reported Fox News.

However, Bule not only turned down treatment, she even refused to stop the show. After suffering the snake bite, the pop star continued performing for more than 45 minutes, but then collapsed in front of her utterly shocked audience. Though she was rushed to a hospital, it was too late and the pop star was declared dead.

Twenty-nine-year-old Irma Bule was quite famous for sporting dangerous snakes during her many acts. While an investigation is being conducted, the king cobra used during her final act was assumed to be defanged. She is usually partial to boa or a python. The reptiles were part of the act, and Bule was known to use them as accessories. Usually the boa or python was seen loosely hanging around her neck while Bule performed, but for reasons yet unknown, she accessorized with a king cobra during her last performance.

It was during the second song when the Indonesian pop star accidentally stepped on the snake’s tail, shared audience member Ferlando Octavion Auzura.

“The accident happened in the middle of the second song when Irma stepped on the snake’s tail.”

The snake lunged at her and attacked Bule. The king cobra’s bite wasn’t supposed to sting as the pop star was pretty sure the snake was defanged. However, that wasn’t the case, and the venomous snake bit her with all its might and deeply lodged his fangs within the pop star’s thigh.

King cobra may not be the longest snake in the world, but it is certainly one of the most venomous. An adult male can reach about 18-feet in length, but, it is not the size, but the bite, that is fatal. Found in ample numbers in Indonesia, the snake is known to expertly use its venom to paralyze its prey and then devour it. The venom of the king cobra is one of the most powerful neurotoxins. In other words, the poison completely shuts down the nervous system of the king cobra’s prey. Horrifically, the victim is completely aware of its certain death, but is unable to do anything about it. A single bite from a king cobra can release enough venom to kill about 20 people, or one large elephant.

It is not immediately clear why Irma Bule chose to use a king cobra in her performance. The reptiles are extremely shy and try their best to avoid people. The snakes aren’t comfortable around people and certainly don’t enjoy loud noises, two aspects which are quite common during a pop concert.

Even after being bitten, Bule continued to perform and strangely, refused the antidote from the snake handler, which would have saved her. Bule reportedly refused medication and insisted on continuing her show. However, the venom took its toll, and after 45 minutes, the pop star started vomiting and collapsed on stage in an apparent seizure, reported Coconuts Jakarta. As the stunned audience watched helplessly, Irma Bule was rushed off stage and to a hospital nearby, but it was too late.

The local police shared that an investigation is underway and members of the audience, as well as the Indonesian pop star’s crew, are being interviewed.

[Photo by Patrick Aventurier/Getty Images]