Just before the South Carolina primary, the State Department has released a new batch of emails – 881 to be exact, 22 of which were deemed “top secret” and therefore “too dangerous” to release to the public at this time. Most were confidential, but two dozen were listed as secret as well as the top secret emails. These were on her personal server, which brings the total list of unlawfully sent emails to 1,800.
None of those 88 classified emails were considered classified when sent, a state department official said. This is the next to last release of Hillary Clinton’s emails which the state department has been recovering since May.
Because of the terms of a court order last month, the state department will need to make public the roughly 35,000 “work related emails” by Monday. Federal officials will need to work through the weekend to meet that goal, which is a huge task, State Department Mark Toner said yesterday, according to MSN.
“We’re still reviewing them – a lot of them, frankly. Going to be working hard through the weekend.”
The release came before the South Carolina primary today, where Hillary is expected to edge out Bernie Sanders, who thus far has not publicly chastised her for the email scandal, although Republican nominees have swung hard about her less than careful use and handling of national security, which they call a threat and her work ethics are disconcerting to someone who may become president of the United States, particularly since she has not admitted wrongdoing. Critics say she has skirted federal record-keeping laws, but no sanctions have been placed against her.
The primary issue is that not only were they handled through her personal server, which has less security and therefore more easily breached, but also due to the fact that Federal Government has no official record of them if they are not handled through their server. When the New York Times originally broke the store of her email management, her attorneys and aides went through the approximately 55,000 emails but held some back that were personal in nature.
Despite the mishandled emails, democrats don’t seem particularly concerned with her behavior, as she still holds the lead for democratic presidential nominee over Bernie Sanders. That may be because no clear cut laws have been broken, but the State Department is carefully reviewing how it handles and archives sensitive information, according to John Kerry, who says that the review is needed and has been sparred on by the Clinton email situation.
Clinton says that she is in the clear because at the time the emails were sent from her personal server, none were considered classified. She has said her email use has been “mischaracterized” and “there are a lot of questions she would like to see resolved.” It remains possible that she and her top aides may be subpoenaed in the matter, but that has not happened as of yet.
Republican nominees have criticized the handling of her emails since the story broke. Donald Trump took to Twitter in late January to call the situation “a disaster”, according to newsmax.
“The new e-mail release is a disaster for Hillary Clinton. At a minimum, how can someone with such bad judgement be our next president?”
What remains unclear is how many other government officials, if any, handle official business through private email servers. The policy revision by the State Department may clear up legal questions for future matters, although it is unlikely to help with the Clinton incident since no set policies were in place at the time.
[Photo by Lisa Lake/Getty Images]