Cate Blanchett once again finds herself an Oscar nominee, this time for her portrayal of Carol Aird in Carol.
— Niki Koromila (@nkoromila) January 17, 2016
And not only is she amazing on the big screen; Deadline reports that she also about to light up the stage with her Broadway debut in the Anton Chekov play Platonov. But this highly-talented actress has more to her than fans might guess. Here are a number of surprising facts about the beautiful Cate Blanchett.
1. Fix reports that Cate Blanchett revealed to the Fox Television Network that she took the role of Galadriel in The Lord of the Rings simply because she had always wanted to have pointed ears in a movie. That seems so amusing coming from such an elegant and regal actress.
Lady Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) pic.twitter.com/kyVDbuN9zP
— Kadir Emre (@lolprince) January 3, 2016
2. So enamored was she with her pointed ears that Cate Blanchett took the prosthetics she wore as Galadriel and had them bronzed after the Lord of the Rings movies were completed.
3. Cate Blanchett did not like her first movie experience, which was as an extra in a film being made in Cairo. She was asked to be an extra, which had her in a crowd of people cheering for an American boxer.
4. Cate Blanchett’s father died from a heart attack when she was only 10-years-old.
— Michele G TV (@MicheleGerren) December 1, 2015
5. Cate Blanchett is the only woman to have ever been nominated for an Oscar twice for playing the same role in two separate movies. These nominations were for her portrayal of Elizabeth I in Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.
— Danielle Marchant (@DanielleLianneM) January 5, 2016
6. Celebrity Gossip Australia reports that Cate Blanchett is also the first actress to win an Oscar for her portrayal of an Oscar-winning actress. She won the Best Supporting Actress Award for her portrayal of Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator.
cate blanchett – the aviator pic.twitter.com/ybcZRqowyF
— the gabe files (@horrorstreep) September 30, 2015
7. Cate Blanchett is one of only three women who have been nominated for an Oscar for her portrayal of a man in a movie. In this case, she played the young Bob Dylan in I’m Not There.
8. Steven Spielberg is one of Cate Blanchett’s biggest fans, which is why he chose her to play the villain in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
— Alex ‘Badass’ Vause (@Ms_AlexVause_) January 3, 2016
9. Boomsbeat reports that when she was a teenager, Cate Blanchett went through a Goth phase and a punk phase. At one point she even shaved her head. Blanchett has also been known to dressing in more masculine clothing.
10. AOL Real Estate reveals that Cate Blanchett has said she can never get plastic surgery, because if she did, her husband would divorce her. She once told Marie Claire that she likes the evolution of the body as it ages.
“When you’ve had children, your body changes; there’s history to it. I like the evolution of that history; I’m fortunate to be with somebody who likes the evolution of that history. I think it’s important to not eradicate it. I look at someone’s face and I see the work before I see the person… You’re certainly not staving off the inevitable. And if you’re doing it out of fear, that fear’s still going to be seen through your eyes. The windows to your soul, they say.”
11. Cate Blanchett has regrets like anyone else and her biggest regret is the fact that she has no pictures from her wedding day.
12. Daily Mail reports Cate Blanchett didn’t even like her husband when she first met him and the feeling was mutual. She revealed this fact when on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno two years ago.
“It was mostly animosity… He thought I was aloof and I thought he was arrogant.”
They’ve obviously both changed their opinions since then.
Happy 18th anniversary Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton ❤ pic.twitter.com/eftfM482cm
— Mari (@cumberblanchett) December 29, 2015
[Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images]