Britney Spears has had a loyal fan base for nearly 20 years and they have stuck with her throughout the years. Now, at the age of 34 (yes, her birthday was December 2), she is a mom and still creating music. While most fans know tidbits, like when Spears’ birthday is, there are a number of facts many don’t know. Here are 10 Britney Spears facts that might surprise you.
1. Huffington Post reports that when Britney Spears starred alongside Anson Mount in Crossroads(2002), Anson later admitted that he ate a mouthful of garlic before a scene in which he had to kiss her.
“After we kissed a couple of times, I took a big spoonful of minced garlic and washed it around my mouth real good. When we did the scene, Brit amazingly kept a straight face. After they yelled ‘Cut,’ I asked her, ‘Did you even taste that?’ And she goes, ‘Oh, sweetie, I just didn’t want to hurt your feelings.'”
2. Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake bought each other toilet seats each worth $21,000! Timberlake got a seat with Spears’ face and she got one with his face.
“I just couldn’t resist ordering one for me and one for Justin. People might consider spending that much on toilet seats excessive, but for us they are a reminder of how far we’ve come since our days on the Mickey Mouse Club.”
3. Britney Spears was into psychics at one time. She did not just have one psychic, but her own little group of them. One of her psychics once told her that the bed she bought was hers in a previous life and that she had been a princess.
“One of my psychics said that in another lifetime it used to be my bed. And they said that it belonged to a princess! She could be totally wrong but it’s a nice thought right? Anyway she said the princess used to travel with the bed and they used to piece it together and ship it on boats to wherever she was. Isn’t that cool? And what’s so weird is that my Grandmother is British!”
4. Spears almost dated Prince William, back in 2002, when he was 19 and she was 20.
“We exchanged emails for a little bit and he was supposed to come and see me somewhere but it didn’t work out.”
Prince William and Kate Middleton FIGHT Over… Britney Spears Show? – http://t.co/M3E4bmNiuw pic.twitter.com/kqO46XgWsA
— Claire Ann Peetz (@ClaireAnnPeetz) July 4, 2014
5. Britney Spears was once heard cursing at her stage crew at the beginning of a concert when she didn’t realize the microphone was on.
6. Spears did some theater before she was famous and was even an understudy with Natalie Portman in an off-Broadway play called Ruthless.
7. Britney Spears once set a Manhattan apartment on fire and her mom later spoke about the incident, according to the Huffington Post.
“Britney went to New York for four days. She and Jenny, her friend, shopped every day. One of those nights, they all came in to a real mess. Brit left a candle burning. The wall caught fire and the fire department had to put it out. Brit has really learned a lesson this time.”
8. Spears appeared on Star Search when she was only 10 years old and she nailed it. But, she didn’t win. She was beaten by a contestant named Marty Thomas, who now performs on Broadway.
— hdpopmusic (@HDpopMusic) May 4, 2015
9. Beauty World News reports that Britney Spears was briefly married to Jason Alexander. After a Las Vegas wedding, the marriage lasted 50 hours before it was annulled.
— HappilyEverBorrowed (@Happilyborrowed) March 27, 2014
10. According to Vanity Fair, Britney Spears was once a restaurant owner. She briefly owned a restaurant in New York called Nyla.
[Photo by David Becker / Getty Images]