Kojima Productions Sony PlayStation 4 - Kojima and House shake hands

Kojima Inks PS4 Console Exclusive Deal With Sony, First Post-Konami Game Coming To PC Too

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain director Hideo Kojima did not wait long for his contract with Konami to expire before announcing his next endeavor. The famed game creator sat down with Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House to announce a partnership that will make his next game a PlayStation 4 console exclusive.

In a brief video posted to the PlayStation YouTube channel, House introduced Kojima, who announced that he has reformed Kojima Productions as an independent studio and entered into an agreement with Sony to make its first title a PS4 exclusive.

“PlayStation’s history is one of game innovation and great new franchises,” House said in an accompanying press release (via Gamasutra). “Hideo Kojima has been a huge part of that history, and we are therefore delighted that he has chosen to bring his brand new project to life in partnership with PlayStation. We look forward to working with him on an exciting new game and warmly welcome him to the PlayStation family.”

“I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years,” said Hideo Kojima, Game Designer, Kojima Productions. “I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise.”

Kojima Productions Logo
[Image via Kojima Productions]
A Q&A posted by a PlayStation EU Community Manager Lucas L. on Medium clarified that this will be a console exclusive only. The game will also come to the PC. Additionally, the PS4 exclusivity deal is only for the first game produced by Kojima Productions, and the length of the exclusivity was not revealed. So, one can hold out a small hope future Kojima games will arrive on all consoles, along with future entries. The first game is unlikely since it is being published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Speculation on what kind of game Kojima Productions could be working on is currently rampant in the gaming community. However, expect something completely new, and do not expect a Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hills production, as both are owned by Konami.

In a post on Twitter, Kojima confirmed that his contract with Konami was terminated on December 15. The deal with Sony was clearly being worked on behind the scenes, as the partnership between Kojima Productions was announced almost immediately after the contract was terminated.

A new website for Kojima Productions went live after the PlayStation 4 announcement, featuring a new logo. It is meant look like both a medieval knight and a space suit, according to Kojima’s Twitter, to express the vision of “aiming the new world with the latest technology and pioneering spirit.”

The website also features several job listings and appears to confirm that Kojima will not be developing his own engine with this game. Job listings for Game and Level Designers are looking for experience in the Unity and Unreal game engines.

This finally closes the book on Hideo Kojima and Konami, which had one of the more bizarre ending chapters in gaming’s history. As previously covered by the Inquisitr, rumors of Kojima leaving Konami began earlier this year in March. This was followed by Konami stripping Kojima’s name from all mentions of Metal Gear Solid V and the cancellation of Kojima Productions’ other title, Silent Hills. The studio was eventually made defunct by Konami, and all the workers made contractors to support the final development and release of The Phantom Pain.

The fractured relationship between Konami and Kojima bordered on the bizarre, with a farewell party hosted for the game director not long after the release of Metal Gear Solid V. Konami quickly disputed the reports (via Huffington Post) by explaining that Kojima was simply going on vacation despite video evidence to the contrary.

Hideo Kojima Konami Force Out Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain
[Image via Kotaku]
The gaming community sat back, bewildered by the split up between Konami and Kojima, with notable personalities such as Electronic Arts’ Peter Moore saying the two should “kiss and make up.” The broken bridges between the two were obviously not going to mend, however, when Konami’s lawyers blocked Kojima from accepting an award for Metal Gear Solid V during The Game Awards show.

Big Boss’ voice actor, Keifer Sutherland, accepted the award in Kojima’s place, and this was followed by an unscripted and unrehearsed rant from host Geoff Keighley directed at Konami (via Kotaku).

“As you noticed,” said Keighley. “Hideo Kojima is not here with us tonight and I want to tell you a little about that. Mr. Kojima had every intention of being with us tonight, but unfortunately he was informed by a lawyer representing Konami just recently that he would not be allowed to travel to tonight’s awards ceremony to accept any awards. He’s still under an employment contract. And it’s disappointing and it’s inconceivable to me that an artist like Hideo would not be allowed to come here and celebrate with his peers and his fellow teammates.”

What do you think of Kojima forming his new Kojima Productions studio and signing a PlayStation 4 exclusivity deal with Sony for the first game? Sound off in the comments below.

[Image via PlayStation]