With the Benghazi committee hearing with Hillary Clinton underway today as part of an ongoing Congressional investigation, Pat Smith has declared that the former Secretary of State is lying about what led to the attack on the U.S. embassy compound in Libya.
Smith is the mother of slain Benghazi foreign service officer Sean Smith.
Terrorists murdered Sean Smith and three other Americans — Ambassador Christopher Stevens and former Navy SEALS Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods — on September 11, 2012, at the compound. Since then, Mrs. Smith has repeatedly insisted that she has been unsuccessful in obtaining a straight answer from the Obama administration as to exactly what occurred or why the administration never deployed military rescue teams.
U.S. officials originally blamed the attack on an obscure anti-Islam YouTube video, a claim that has since been discredited. For example, the number two official at the embassy previously testified before Congress that the video was a “non-event” in the attack.
In a TV appearance with CNN’s Carol Costello, Pat Smith recounted how Hillary Clinton promised her at the 2012 funeral ceremony in Washington D.C. that she would get back to her about what exactly happened to her son in Benghazi, but Pat insisted that there has been no follow-up communication in the intervening three years since Sean Smith was killed.
“She has not called me. She has not contacted me. She has not given me any information except to tell me that I am not a member of the immediate family and I do not need to know.”
About Hillary Clinton’s January 2013 “what difference does it make” testimony about Benghazi on Capitol Hill, Smith affirmed the following.
“She’s lying… she’s absolutely lying. She told me something entirely different at the casket ceremony. She said it was because of the video, and she would get back to me to tell me what happened with my son…”
In January 2014, responding to a New York Times article about Benghazi that claimed al Qaeda-affiliated groups were uninvolved in the embassy, Pat Smith accused the Times of covering up for Hillary Clinton and further accused her of killing Sean Smith, adding that the current Democrat 2016 presidential frontrunner was directly responsible for his death in connection with the security breakdown at the U.S. facility there.
In November 2012, Pat Smith directly accused President Obama of “murdering” her son by the failure to send military backup to Benghazi when the compound was under siege by terrorists.
The Weekly Standard echoed Pat Smith that U.S. government claims about the YouTube video in question is an important component of the inquiry.
“Critics of Clinton on Benghazi are most angry about the exchange she had with surviving family members at the solemn ceremony held to receive the bodies of the victims. Pat Smith, the mother of information specialist Sean Smith, who was killed in the attacks, says Clinton told her that the Obama administration would bring to justice the man who made the anti-Islam video that the administration initially blamed for the attacks. ‘She blamed the video just like all the rest of them did and she also told me she was going to get back to me.’ But contemporaneous documents and testimony from US officials who were in Libya during the attacks make no mention of the video that would become the centerpiece of the Obama administration’s public narrative about the attacks. Indeed, in messages as the attacks unfolded and in the hours and days that followed, show security and intelligence officials immediately placing blame on al Qaeda and affiliated fighters and pushing back on suggestions from Washington that the video had played a role…”
The Benghazi Select Committee hearing today with Hillary Clinton probably won’t get to the bottom of controversy in part because of how the probe has been politicized, the rehearsed answers, and that the media will treat it as political theater, the publication also suggested.
Watch the Benghazi Committee live feed of the public hearing with Hillary Clinton below.
[Photo by Pool/Getty Images]