Disaster On Set Of 'Silence'

Martin Scorsese ‘In Shock’ After Disaster On Set

Martin Scorsese, who had finally gotten funding for his latest film, Silence, was preparing to film in Taiwan when there was a sudden disaster on the set.

A ceiling on the set collapsed leaving one man dead and two more injured. The three men were construction workers doing their jobs at the Chinese Culture and Movie Center.

According to The Independent, “Independent contractors had been hired to ‘make safe’ a backlot building that had been considered unstable. It was during this process that the accident occurred.”

In a statement from Scorsese regarding the horrible disaster on his set, he said, “Everyone is in shock and sorrow and expresses their deepest concern and sympathy to the families of the individual who died and those who were injured.”

According to Reuters, there was no statement made detailing “the severity of the injuries” of the two men. The disaster has left many people sending prayers and well wishes to the victims and their families.

Despite the horrible disaster, it appears that Scorsese and his crew are holding true to the statement that the show must go on. Silence‘s shooting schedule is still set to begin on Friday.

Silence is Scorsese’s first film since 2013’s Oscar nominated The Wolf of Wall Street. Scorsese is one of the most popular directors known for Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

Silence, which is set to be released in 2016, stars Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver. The historical drama follows the story of Portuguese Jesuit missionaries and the problems and persecution they face in 17th century Japan.

Scorsese’s movie is an adaptation of the 1966 novel, also called Silence, written by Japanese author Shusaku Endo. Many are saying that this isn’t Scorsese’s usual “fare” but should still be interesting.

While Scorsese says the movie will be a “suspenseful film with elements of a thriller,” let’s hope that there will be no more disaster on set.

[Photo Couresy of Wikipedia]

Comments