Cookies

California High-Schoolers Put In Critical Condition After Eating Marijuana-Laced Cookies

Hollywood may play up eating marijuana-laced brownies and cookies, but an incident Friday at a California high school had serious consequences for five students between the ages of 14 and 16. Two of the students were rushed to the hospital after eating marijuana-laced cookies sold to them by another student.

According to a Reuters report, one student at De Anza High School in Richmond, California collapsed in a classroom after eating a marijuana-laced cookie. A second student fell ill and made it to the school office.

Both students were rushed to a nearby hospital, according to the Richmond Police Department, where they arrived unconscious, unresponsive, and in critical condition. After receiving treatment, one student was released and a second remains at the hospital for observation.

The three other students who purchased and ate the pot-laced cookies became nauseous and experienced vomiting, but were not hospitalized after being treated at the school.

The Associated Press reports that Richmond Police Capt. Mark Gagan revealed that a 17-year old female senior allegedly sold the pot-laced food items to students for $3 each or $5 for two. She was arrested for selling drugs on campus and child endangerment and is currently being detained in juvenile hall. The school is currently working on expelling her.

The police have not announced whether the senior received the marijuana-laced cookies from someone else or if she made them herself.

The names of the five students that fell ill and the student that sold the pot-laced cookies were not revealed due to their status as minors.

This follows an even more tragic incident in April of this year when a college student from Wyoming leapt to his death after eating a marijuana-laced cookie legally bought from a store in Denver, Colorado.

Levy Thamba Pongi
Levy Thamba Pongi

As The Inquisitr reported, 19-year old Levy Thamba Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo, began exhibiting “hostile behavior” after eating the cookie. This included tearing things off the walls and speaking erratically, per the autopsy report.

Pongi’s friends attempted to calm him down and he eventually went outside the motel they were staying at and jumped over a balcony railing.

Denver police ruled the death an accident at the time. The investigation remains open.

Colorado law restricts the sale of marijuana products from being sold to those under 21 and adults can be charged with a felony for providing it to someone under the legal age. The cookie was reportedly purchased by one of Pongi’s friends who were of legal age.

[Image via CBS, Denver Channel 4]

Comments