Nigella Lawson: The Agony Is Almost Over, Provisional Divorce Granted
Nigella Lawson is on the way to ending her marriage to Charles Saatchi.
On Wednesday, the High Court in London granted her a Decree Nisi, which is actually a provisional divorce. This is the first routine step in UK law on the road to obtaining a full divorce.
Neither Nigella or her husband were present at the one minute hearing. They now have to wait a minimum of six weeks before receiving what is called a Degree Absolute. This will bring their 10-year marriage to an end.
Celebrity chef Lawson, 53, and advertising mogul Saatchi,70, were photographed last month in Scott’s restaurant in London’s West End having a blinding argument. During the row, Saatchi was seen to grab his wife by the throat several times.The images received so much media attention that the police were forced to respond to the public pressure.
Saatchi was not arrested but went voluntarily to a police station where he was given a formal warning for assault. On July 6, Saatchi announced that the couple would be getting divorced. He said that they did not intend to make any financial claims against each other.
Earlier this month, Lawson’s lawyer, Fiona Shackleton told E! News that she was working to “ensure a swift and amicable resolution.” She added, “Both parties would appreciate privacy for themselves and their children at this difficult time.
How do you feel about photographers intruding into a domestic argument? If Nigella Lawson would not have been a celebrity, do you think divorce was the only option? Sound off in the comments feed below.
Photo Credit: nydailynews.com