Miley Cyrus Talks About Manchester Arena Bombing On ‘Today’
This morning, Miley Cyrus opened up about the tragic Manchester Arena bombing that took place on Monday night during an Ariana Grande Concert. The singer talked about the attack and just how the terror attack changed the way she thinks. Cyrus was chatting with Matt Lauer on Friday’s Today Show when she spoke about the magnitude of the attack and how it has been an “eye-opener” for her. She also told Lauer that she can’t wait to see Grande and give her a “big hug.” The two have been friends for quite some time.
“Just to know someone who goes through that, it [also] makes my life seem more real, shows where we are at. Now, I think not only for my safety, but for everyone else. It’s really been an eye-opener and for my friend Ariana, it’s just beyond me. And I can’t wait till I get a second to give her a big hug for sure,” Cyrus told Lauer, according to People Magazine.
Cyrus also talked to Lauer about how she tends to be pretty “low-key” in general and how she doesn’t usually travel with a large amount of security. The attack that claimed the lives of 22 people may change that for Cyrus — and for other celebrities.
“I’m also someone that … I don’t like a lot of people around. I don’t really have the team and crew around me; I usually like to lay really low-key … I don’t really roll with a crew or security team or whatever. So now I realize that I need to know that I’m around a lot of people and to protect myself and protect everyone that’s here,” Cyrus said. “I take that more seriously and will be more cautious,” she added.
This past week on The Voice, Cyrus dedicated her new single “Malibu,” to Grande and to all of those involved in the attack. This likely won’t be the last time we hear about celebrities dedicating songs to those who were involved in the bombing — it is a very emotional time for many performers, more so because this happened at a concert.
On Monday night, a suicide bomber identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, walked into the Manchester Arena with a bomb. He detonated that bomb in a foyer area of the building as fans were leaving at the end of Grande’s Dangerous Woman Tour. Shortly after the blast, police confirmed that there had been fatalities. Many of those who were at the venue recalled seeing bodies on the ground, blood, and body parts. What was supposed to be a fun night out enjoying live music turned into an unthinkable tragedy. Dozens of people were injured and many are still in the hospital getting treatment.
Ariana Grande suspended her tour at least through June 5. Although she hasn’t reached out to her fans since that tragic night, sources say that she is absolutely devastated. According to TMZ, sources say that Grande is in “no condition” to perform.
The day after the attack, Grande, who wasn’t hurt in the attack, boarded a private place and headed back to the United States. When she arrived at the airport in Florida (where she owns a home), she was greeted by her boyfriend, Mac Miller. The two shared an emotional kiss and an embrace before jumping into an awaiting SUV.
There have been rumors that Grande has reached out to the victims’ families and that she has offered to cover their funerals, but none of this has been confirmed at this time.
Fans hope that Grande is healing through all of this and that she finds the strength to return to the stage when she is ready.
[Featured Image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images]