The Xbox One version of ARK: Survival Evolved was updated Tuesday with the biggest dinosaur yet for the open-world survival game. Studio Wildcard dropped update 737 which also brings a new Redwood biome to The Island plus creature balance changes, new items, and more.
The Redwood biome will be dropped in the middle of The Island in the Grand Peak area south of the Volcano with the nearly 12 GB update. The new environment features giant Redwood trees that cannot be harvested. Instead, players will be able to build wooden and metal Ewok-style bases, complete with retractable rope ladders. Redwood trees can also be tapped for their tree sap to craft the new gas mask to protect against diseases and poison grenades.
Note that The Center map (guide) will not receive the Redwood biome with the 737 update. It will arrive at the end of July at the earliest. ARK: Survival Evolved developer Ben Burkart released a PC beta for the changes at the end of last week to test out the all-new landmass for the biome.
In addition to the Redwood biome being added, the snow biome on the northern side of the map has been extended to the east, just short of the Hidden Lake.The enormous Titanosaur is the largest dinosaur added to ARK: Survival Evolved yet. It towers over the Giganotosaurus and is supposed to be extremely rare with only three allowed on official servers at one time. The huge creature can be used as a mobile base and should be thought of as an end-game raid boss. It can easily smash through wooden and stone bases, with only metal bases providing some resistance.
The Titanosaur is a difficult tame as it cannot be knocked out with Tranq Arrows or Darts. Players will instead have to down it by hitting it in the head with something large, likely a catapult turret or cannon. Additionally, a tame should only be attempted by tribes with an extremely high-level player able to craft the saddle, plenty of resources, and the understanding it is only temporary. You can check out the full taming guide here.
Note that The Center map will not receive the Titanosaur until it also receives the Redwood biome update.
There's also new Custom Tripwire Alarm that will send notifications to players when their base is getting raided. Those who register at the ARK: Survival Evolved will receive the notification when the alarm is placed.
Balance changes to the Giganotosaurus and Pteranodon bring a hint of controversy. Both dinosaurs receive significant nerfs as Studio Wildcard continues to balance the game leading up to its winter release. This comes after the last patch disabled auto-turrets and Plant X turrets on all platform saddles.
Tamed and wild Giganotosauruses now do 50 percent less damage while the wild Giga has 40 percent less hit points. Additionally, tamed Gigas now run 30 percent slower and have 25 percent less hit points. On the plus side, tamed Gigas do receive a 30 percent stamina increase and will require 70 percent less food to keep alive and happy.
Meanwhile, Pteranodons have been the preferred battle bird since Quetzals lost the ability to carry Plant X turrets. They are extremely easy to tame though, making their damage output outsized to the offensive capabilities. Studio Wildcard has brought their damage down 30 percent as a result.
The complete patch notes for ARK: Survival Evolved update 737 from the game's official website can be found below:
- New Creature: Titanosaurus!
- New Item: Gas Mask!
- New Item: Chain Bola Ammo for Ballista Turret!
- New Item: Herbivore "TastyCakes"
- New Structure: Retractable Rope Ladders!
- New Structure: Tree Sap Taps!
- New Structures: Wood and Metal Tree Platforms!
- New Mechanic: Custom Tripwire Alarm Notifications via SurviveTheArk.com (Email and Forum). Optionally Tribes can post to arbitrary URL, if they have a custom system! Now if someone's raiding your base, you can get on top of it!
- Biome Update: Snow Extension & New Redwood Forests (this is a major environmental overhaul!)
- Added option to disable Inventory Sounds. Yeah
- Balled Doed's are no longer invincible to Tamed Dino melee attacks -- now just very, very resistant to them
- Tamed & Wild Gigas Damage reduced by 50%, Wild Giga HP reduced by 40%, Tamed Giga Run Speed reduced by 30%, Tamed Giga HP reduced by 25%, Giga Stamina Increased by 30%. Tamed Gigas now require/consume 70% less food for subsistence.
- Tamed Ptero Damage reduced by 30%
- Fixed bug where Wild Giganotosaurus and other dinos would not respawn properly until the server was relaunched.
- Added two additional levels to gain, for Players and Dinos
- Server Note: To allow your Server's Titanosaurs to be permanently tamed (namely allow them to be Fed), launch your server with this commandline option:?AllowRaidDinoFeeding=true
- Dedicated Server Save-Backups
- Memory saving & CPU performance increase approximately 5%
What do you think of the latest ARK: Survival Evolved update for the Xbox One? Sound off in the comments section below.
[Image via Studio Wildcard]