Manager Terry Collins Hospitalized Before New York Mets’ 5-3 Loss

New York Mets’ manager Terry Collins was taken to Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee approximately 30 minutes before the team played its series finale against the Milwaukee Brewers on Sunday.

Assistant general manager John Ricco told reporters, including ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, that Collins told team officials that he was feeling ill and was transported to the medical facility as a precaution. He will remain in the Milwaukee hospital overnight and will not travel back to New York with the team. However, Collins will not be alone as trainer Ray Ramirez — who went to the hospital with the Mets’ skipper — will be by his side.

“He wasn’t feeling well before the game,” Ricco said.

“So we had the trainer and Brewers team doctor take a look at him. They took him over to Froedtert Hospital just for some tests just to make sure there is nothing wrong with him.”

At 67-years-old, Collins is the oldest manager in the MLB. But he was reportedly feeling better just before he departed Miller Lite Park for the hospital and was “alert” throughout the ordeal. Ricco did mention after the game that Collins watched the Mets on television at the hospital.

“I’ve talked to our trainer, Ray Ramirez, who’s with him,” Ricco added after the game. “They were watching the game. I know that. He’s probably a bit agitated with the result, knowing Terry. But other than that, he was feeling fine.”

In Collins’ absence, bench coach Dick Scott managed the Mets as they dropped Sunday’s game 5-3 to the Brewers. Left-handed starter Steven Matz suffered his second consecutive loss as he gave up five runs (four earned) in six innings of action. Brewers’ righty Zach Davies shut the Mets down, at one point retiring 17 consecutive batters before Kelly Johnson hit a double in the 7th inning.

It’s unclear if Collins will be back on Tuesday as the Mets begin a three-game series with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Coming off a.500 road trip going through Miami, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Collins will look to right the ship upon his return. Scott also spoke about the incumbent manager and the team’s feeling about his prognosis.

“Without getting into too many details, he just didn’t feel good,” Scott said.

“The beauty about what we do is we have guys like Ray Ramirez and [assistant trainer] Brian Chicklo right across the hallway. They came right in. They followed protocol and took care of Terry right away. He actually felt fine right before the game. So we were all encouraged.”

While the loss stings, the team is just happy to know their skipper is doing well.

“Dickie Scott called us in and just said, ‘Hey, he’s going to get taken to the hospital. He seems to be doing well, but they just want to be safe and get everything checked out to see exactly what’s going on,'” right fielder Curtis Granderson, who went 1-5 with an RBI single in Sunday’s loss.

“So hopefully we’ll find out something sooner than later. But I haven’t heard anything else since that moment.”

Ironically, Mets’ general manager Sandy Alderson infamously collapsed during a press conference announcing Collins’ new contract with the Mets last November. He claimed that the collapse was because he felt lightheaded from skipping breakfast and being under hot television lights (via the New York Daily News).

However, it was later revealed that Alderson was diagnosed with an undisclosed type of cancer. According to Newsday, he intended to keep the cancer under wraps before the first surgery last December. Luckily, after undergoing a second surgery last month, Alderson appears to be doing well and on the road to full recovery.

The Mets will hope Collins’ situation has a similarly — but less potentially grave — positive outcome.

[Featured Photo by y Doug Pensinger/Getty Images]

Share this article: Manager Terry Collins Hospitalized Before New York Mets’ 5-3 Loss
More from Inquisitr