Apple iPhone SE Outperforms Expectations, Phone Sold Out Everywhere

When Apple launched the iPhone SE in March, it did not get the same hype as its bigger siblings such as the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, and it’s all because of its smaller 4-inch display.

There is a list citing the reasons that explain why the new, smaller, and more affordable iPhone is a risky move for Apple, which has recently launched devices with 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch screens.

Since the iPhone SE rumor came out, some people have been skeptical that the manufacturer would return to its small-screen roots, considering how impressively the bigger models are selling.

And when the cheaper iPhone was made available to the market on March 31, there were low expectations, and people even compared it to the plastic-covered iPhone 5c.

True enough, during the iPhone SE’s first weekend, it yielded subpar performance, as reported by multiple news outlets, only selling 0.1 percent of total iPhones, compared to the iPhone 5s (0.9 percent), iPhone 6s (1 percent), and iPhone 6 (2 percent).

Was the iPhone SE a big mistake for the Cupertino-based manufacturer?

A recent report by Forbes says that iPhone SE stock has run out, and people who are interested in buying the new phone won’t be able to get one until April 12. Specifically, the rose gold model that comes with 16GB of memory and costs $399 has sold out.

For those who want the 64GB version at the $499 price point, they will have to wait until April 20-27, depending on their carrier. It is worth noting that the 64GB models will arrive on April 20 with expedited shipping. Buyers who choose the free shipping option may get it much later.

“Though it didn’t have the hype of a new next-generation iPhone launch, the revamped 4-inch iPhone SE continues to see demand outstrip Apple’s available supply, with most stores completely out of stock and new orders advertised not to ship for a few weeks,” reported an Apple Insider.

A quick check by CNET also revealed that in-store pickup in Apple stores in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and other major U.S. cities are almost unavailable.

The iPhone SE stocks have reportedly run out for cash buyers, although consumers can still get the smartphone from their carriers if they are willing to get it with a 2-year subscription.

For Apple fans who are determined to get a new iPhone, the bigger models like the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are both available in stores and online.

The sales performance of the new iPhone is not only surprising in the United States, but in other countries as well.

In Hong Kong, stock is also limited, and the next delivery of ordered iPhone SE models is scheduled for April 16.

The new iPhone SE is a decent device but it’s not spectacular. The device’s specs are housed in a vintage-looking case that looks nothing like the curved edges of the most recent iPhones.

The device has a low 1136 x 640 screen resolution, a dual-core CPU clocked at 1.84GHz, 2GB of RAM, Apple’s A9 chipset, and the company’s famous fingerprint scanner.

Other specs include a 12MP primary camera with face detection and dual tone flash and a 1.2MP front shooter for selfies. The iPhone SE also supports Apple Pay, runs on iOS 9, and houses a 1,624mAh battery. The device does not have a microSD card slot and only has two storage options – 16GB and 64GB.

Color options include space grey, gold, silver, and rose gold.

Reports say that the affordable iPhone SE will be marketed heavily in mass markets such as China, India, and Brazil.

[Photo by Eugene Hoshiko/AP Images]

Share this article: Apple iPhone SE Outperforms Expectations, Phone Sold Out Everywhere
More from Inquisitr