Manny Pacquiao Backtracks On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Rematch Claim As Amir Khan Backs Out Of Talks

Jonathan Vankin - Author
By

Oct. 13 2015, Updated 3:43 p.m. ET

Manny Pacquiao claimed just last week to be negotiating with Floyd Mayweather Jr. to stage a rematch of their May 2 megafight — a fight that turned out to shatter all records for the biggest moneymaking boxing event of all time. But now Pacquiao is taking back that claim, throwing cold water on hopes for a second, and boxing fans hope, more action-packed encounter between the two fighters who were considered boxing’s pound-for-pound kings.

Article continues below advertisement

At the same time, Pacquiao appears to have lost a potential opponent for what the 36-year-old says will likely be his final appearance in a boxing ring, as British superstar and former world champions Amir Khan — who has been publicly lobbying for a fight with either Pacquiao or Mayweather for the past two years — now says that he will no longer negotiate with the Philippines-based champion.

“I’m really disappointed in Manny and his team. They aren’t playing ball,” Khan told the United Arab Emirates-based English-language newspaper The National. “All that was left to do is to sign the contract. But they are stalling. I have pulled out of the negotiations. I am no longer fighting Manny Pacquiao.”

The 31-3 Khan claims that he has been told three different times that Mayweather would fight him, only have the undefeated American move on to other opponents. Now he claims that his other preferred opponent, Manny Pacquiao, is avoiding him as well.

Advertisement

Latest Floyd Mayweather Jr News and Updates

    © Copyright 2023 The Inquisitr. The Inquisitr is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.