‘No Good Deed’: Five Reasons Why This Movie Earned The Number One Box Office Spot
No Good Deed was able to rule the box office during its opening weekend, reaching over $24.5 million in ticket sales.
No Good Deed definitely faced a lot of tough competition this weekend — especially with the recent box office success of Dolphin Tale 2 and the international success of Guardians of the Galaxy. However, this Sam Miller-directed film was able to beat the competition by skyrocketing in sales.
The question that might be crossing your mind as well as many other people that read the headlines about this movie is, “How in the world did that happen?”
There are several reasons why no one should be surprised that No Good Deed earned the top spot in the box office this weekend.
1. It’s an original story that is not a sequel. One of the most refreshing parts about No Good Deed was the simple fact that it was not a sequel. After a summer filled with sequels (including the release of Dolphin Tale 2), moviegoers were clearly searching for a new story that brought something different to the box office.
2. It is not related to a comic book, cartoon, or graphic novel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with movies based on comic books, cartoons, and graphic novels. Billions of dollars have been made at the worldwide box office over the years from these movies. However, after a summer that was filled with these movies, No Good Deed is the breath of fresh air that many moviegoers have been craving for months.
3. It is the perfect borderline story between horror and suspense. You might love to see a dramatic movie that is not too cheesy and corny, especially when there is a male and female lead. On the other hand, you might love to see a movie that is scary but not filled with gruesome images and scenes of gore and blood. No Good Deed, a story about an escaped convict and the attractive mother he decides to terrorize, satisfies the tastes of both types of viewers.
4. On-screen chemistry between two very good actors. Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson were able to set the big screen on fire with their on-screen chemistry, which was made abundantly clear in each of the trailers and TV spots that were released for No Good Deed. Not to mention the fact that they each have done a lot of promotion for No Good Deed leading up to its highly-anticipated release.
5. Simplicity leads to box office success. What many movie studios have yet to realize is that you don’t need big budget pictures to rule the box office. If you are interested in long-term success, the best approach to take would be to focus on low budget pictures that can create high returns at the box office. No Good Deed is a perfect example of just that — especially since this movie was able to make almost double its production budget of $13.2 million in the first weekend.
With all of the positive reviews and recommendations that have been circulating online from fans and critics alike since the movie was released, it is clear that No Good Deed should expect to remain towards the top of the box office list for quite some time.
Did you see No Good Deed this weekend? If so, what did you think about it?