Monday, July 7 brings Bungie Day and a load of new information for Destiny. The PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 shooter received a schedule and details for the upcoming beta plus a reveal of a pair of collector’s edition with one of them featuring Destiny‘s AI companion, Ghost. That anticipated PC announcement though? Not happening.
The Destiny beta will launch first for the Playstation 4 and Playstation 3 on July 17 at 10 am PDT before taking a break on July 21 and 22 for maintenance. When the beta returns on July 23, the Xbox One and Xbox 360 versions of the game will be online at 10 am PDT until the beta ends at the end of the day on July 26.
Players who participate in the Destiny beta will be able to create characters and take part in story missions, co-op Strikes missions, competitive multiplayer, and social activities at the Tower, the game’s hub world. Bungie previously teased Mars and Venus as additional locations for the beta in addition to Earth and the Tower. Those who play on Saturday, July 26 at 2 pm PDT will earn an exclusive in-game emblem when the game launches on September 9, and Bungie promises additional surprises throughout the beta.
If you want to participate in the Destiny beta, all you need to do is pre-order the game from participating retailers. There’s no requirement that you purchase the game but retailers like GameStop will require a $5 deposit while Amazon does not require a deposit. You can then cancel the pre-order before the game is released.
Here’s the latest Destiny trailer that is all about selling you on the pre-ordering so you can participate in the beta.
In addition to the beta information, Bungie revealed two physical and one digital collector’s editions for Destiny.
The Destiny Limited Edition will be $99.99 and include the following:
– Limited edition SteelBook Case and Game Disc
– Guardian Folio:
- Arms & Armament Field Guide
- Postcards from the Golden Age
- Antique Star Chart
– Collector’s Edition Digital Content Pack:
- Unique Ghost Casing
- Exclusive Player Emblem
- Exclusive Player Ship Variant
– Destiny Expansion Pass – expands the Destiny adventure post-launch with the following two expansions, which will include brand new story missions, cooperative activities and competitive multiplayer arenas, and a wealth of all new weapons, armor and gear to earn:
- Expansion I: The Dark Below – Set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, fans will discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hiveenemy race
- Expansion II: House of Wolves – details will be revealed later
- PlayStation platforms will also include additional exclusive content for Expansion I and II and will remain exclusive until at least Fall of 2015
Meanwhile, the Destiny Ghost Edition will include all of the above plus the following.
- Ghost replica, featuring motion-activated lights and voice recordings from award-winning actor Peter Dinklage, voice of the Ghost character, the player’s personal companion in the game
- Letter of Introduction
- Golden Age Relics, which include a Photo, Patch, Sticker and two Chrome slides of the Traveler
Those who pre-order the Destiny Digital Guardian Edition will receive a digital copy of the game plus the Destiny Expansion Pass and the Collector’s Edition Digital Content Pack.
Are you participating in the Destiny beta? Which will be your system of choice and what content are you looking forward to the most?
[Image via Bungie]
[Update: Bungie updated their post to change the start time of the beta reward to 2 p.m. PDT on Saturday, July 26.]