Mirrorless cameras are catching up to DSLR cameras, with the Sony Alpha 7 and 7R providing the first full frame sensors in a small frame camera.
As previously reported by The Inquisitr, smartphone cameras have been getting better as well, with the sensor of the iPhone 5S being dramatically increased in size. It’s possible the Apple iPad 5 camera may get the same treatment, as well.
Sony has been using multiple approaches in developing camera technology, from the standard DSLR to dual autofocus systems to Translucent Mirror Technology. The Sony Alpha 7 and 7R represent the latest mirrorless cameras, but what makes them so exciting is that they’re the first full-frame interchangeable lens camera that could fit in your pocket. DSLR cameras tend to be bulky but the Sony Alpha 7 and 7R will provide the quality level of medium grade DSLRs yet at a smaller physical size.
So what is the difference between the two models of these mirrorless cameras? The Sony A7 features a full-frame 24 megapixel CMOS, while the Sony A7R has a 36 megapixel CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter. The A7 uses a Hybrid Auto-Focus system, while the Sony A7R has traditional contrast detection.
The new line of mirrorless cameras will use new lenses called the FE-series which are designed to take advantage of the full-frame sensors. The 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS will come with the Sony A7 package while the other four lenses will launch over a period of months starting in December.
Sony A7 / A7R Features
- 24.3 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with OLPF [A7]
- 36.3 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with no OLPF [A7R]
- E-mount with support for FE, E, and A-mount lenses (with adapter)
- Bionz X image processor
- Hybrid AF system with 25 contrast-detect and 117 phase-detect points [A7 only]
- Weather-sealed magnesium alloy body
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 1.23 million dots
- XGA (2.4 million dot) electronic viewfinder
- Diffraction correction technology
- Full HD video recording at 1080/60p and 24p; uncompressed HDMI output
- Wi-Fi with NFC capability and downloadable apps
The Sony A7 release date price in December is $1999 with the lenses and $1699 without. The Sony A7R will sell for $2299, available as body only.
Are you excited about these new mirrorless cameras?