How to Turbo-Charge Firefox 3.1 Beta
Firefox 3.1′s first beta is upon us, right on track with the latest timeline for its release. The most anticipated new feature, though, isn’t there yet — at least, not unless you know how to make it show up.
Here are the other improvements listed as being built in to 3.1 Beta:
- Web standards improvements in the Gecko layout engine
- Added support for CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 properties
- A new tab-switching shortcut that shows previews of the tab you’re switching to
- Improved control over the Smart Location Bar using special characters to restrict your search
- Support for new web technologies such as the
Remember, other options — things such as the Chrome, IE8, and Safari-esque “private browsing” mode, or the Chrome-inspired tab-dragging capability — aren’t set to hit until Beta 2. That second beta is scheduled to be locked down on November 4 with a release a couple of weeks thereafter. The final 3.1 release is expected to come either late this year or early in 2009.