Rampage Jackson: ‘The UFC Didn’t Treat Me Right’
After losing to Glover Teixeira by unanimous decision last week, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is insisting he will never fight in the octagon again — at least not in the UFC.
The former light heavyweight champion said the UFC didn’t treat him well and, for that reason, he is leaving the company.
“I didn’t retire from MMA,” Jackson told TMZ Monday. ”But as of now … I’ve left the UFC.”
Jackson added, “The UFC didn’t treat me right. I don’t like the way I was treated there.”
While the UFC is the largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion company in the world, it isn’t the only game in town. Jackson is hoping to sign a deal with a rival MMA company, but at the moment he is contractually obligated to wait a month before he is officially done with the UFC.
UFC president Dana White said about Jackson, “Rampage didn’t quit. He lost his last 3 fights and his contract is up. Do you see me beating his door down to get him back?”
Jackson’s three-loss streak began in 2011, when he failed to regain his title after being submitted by rear naked choke by Jon Jones at UFC 135. In February 2012, he lost to Ryan Bader by unanimous decision at UFC 144. His loss to Teixeira at UFC on Fox dropped his record to 32-11.
White wasn’t done taking jabs at Jackson, however. He said, “Since 2007, Rampage has made $15 million with the UFC. Ask him how much he made from the A-Team when I let him go film it.”
Where should Rampage Jackson go now that he is done with the UFC? With Strikeforce, Pride, WEC, and WFA now defunct or absorbed by the UFC, what options does Jackson have?
[Image credit: s_bukley/Shutterstock.com]