Triple G is coming off the toughest night of his professional career, and the IBF, IBO, WBA, and WBC middleweight champion managed to get a close decision victory facing Daniel Jacobs on March 18. He didn’t perform like usual, leaving fans wondering if his skills are evaporating or is the champ past his prime. On the other hand, the 26-year-old redhead knocked out Amir Khan in May of 2016, Liam Smith in October of 2016, and recently dominated in the unanimous decision win over Julio Chavez. It’s going to be a tough match for both fighters, but experts believe that Alvarez will have the upper hand September 16.
Fight Of The Year
For the Spanish superstars’ upcoming bout, the contract says he’s guaranteed a rematch if he loses against the champion, but if he wins, he doesn’t have to fight Golovkin right after. De La Hoya and Alvarez hesitated for over a year, but they feel now it’s the right time. Oscar told USA Today Sports that Canelo has grown into his conditioning, is mentally ready, and the bout is happening at 160 pounds. Alvarez is coming into this match with a big fan following, and he’s pulling in more than a million pay-per-view buys every time he fights. It’s been good for boxing lately, and finally, Alvarez and Gennady are going to clash inside the boxing ring. The two middleweights had already signed on the dotted line before the all-Mexican bout with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) May 24, 2017
Fans will get to witness who’s the best pound-for-pound middleweight champion of the world. News of the mega-fight was announced right after Canelo’s dominant victory over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Negotiations weren’t easy, and it took longer than expected, but both fighters bring a lot to the table. Golden Boy Promotions said they got several offers from around the world wanting to exhibit the fight. The Dallas AT&T Stadium, Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena, London’s Wembley Stadium, and New York’s Madison Square Garden are all very interested in hosting the highly anticipated fight on the Mexican Independence weekend.
“I literally have a missed call from Dubai, I have a missed call from the United Kingdom, where Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko just sold out a 90,000 seat stadium, and let me tell you, the Triple G side is such a pleasure to work with… We negotiated back and forth several times, it was no big deal. These types of fights take a long time sometimes. This particular fight took two weeks to make.”
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) May 12, 2017
Boxing Made A Rebound
The boxing world has seen an upswing with a handful of good fights. Before the year started, on November 19, 2016, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, Andre Ward got a close split-decision win over Sergey Kovalev. Ward showed he’s the undisputed champion in the 175-pound division. This year, on January 28, Leo Santa Cruz and Carl Frampton went toe-to-toe in a thrilling rematch. On March 12, the brilliant Keith Thurman won a narrow decision over Danny Garcia in the 147-pound scrap. And most recently, on April 29, heavyweight Anthony Joshua destroyed the future Hall of Famer Wladimir Klitschko in the 11th round.
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) December 22, 2016
Mayweather commented that Canelo has gotten more experienced and skillful since their fight and thought Golovkin will lose.
“I really believe Triple G has good punching power, but he’s flat-footed. He makes a lot of mistakes,” he said.
“Do I think Triple G can beat Canelo? Absolutely not. I think there are a few guys that can beat Triple G, and Canelo is on the top of the list.”
Golovkin is a powerful puncher who has knocked out most of his opponents and still hasn’t lost a fight in his career. Canelo is coming off a complete shutdown against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and has only one loss in his professional boxing record against Floyd Mayweather back in 2004. There is no question both guys have proven themselves to be the best in the world.
[Featured Image by Ethan Miller/Getty Images]