David Garrard Cut: Veteran QB Released By Miami Dolphins
Veteran quarterback David Garrard was cut Tuesday by the Miami Dolphins, according to a report on the NFL’s website.
Garrard, who hasn’t been able to play since having knee surgery in early August, would have been guaranteed his $2.25 salary if he was on the roster for the opener.
He returned to practice Monday on a limited basis and said he’s not yet 100 percent.
“I’m just trying to be smart as I can without delaying myself too much,” Garrard said Monday. “I’m not going to force myself to do anything to hurt myself in the long run, period, if it’s here or somewhere else.”
Garrard’s cut, which comes just five days before Miami’s opening game against the Texans, was the second time the former Pro-Bowler has been released by a team before the NFL season begins.
After spending the first nine years of his pro career with Jacksonville, Garrard was unceremoniously dumped by the Jaguars just before their season opener last year and later underwent back surgery and sat out all of 2011.
Garrard, who started the Fins’ final 12 games in the 2011 season, thanked the fans via Twitter following his release.
“To all the dolphins fans thx for ur support! Best of luck to all my teammates. Thx for making me feel at home!! Phins up!!”
ESPN reports the Dolphins have already named rookie Ryan Tannehill to be their starter.
In David Garrard’s absence, Matt Moore, the team’s starter last season, will now take over as the veteran backup.
Moore finished 2011 passing 210 of 347 (60.5 percent), for 2,497 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions.