Seth Rollins’ Curb Stomp quickly became one of the most popular finishing moves in recent memory, but following last year’s WrestleMania 31, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon decided to ban the move, and we never really got an explanation as to why.
Most believed that Rollins’ popular finishing move was banned due to the concussion lawsuit that WWE was facing at the time. But according to Rollins himself, who explained exactly why the move was banned last spring on Friday’s Talk is Jericho, that wasn’t the case.
Rollins told fellow former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho that the WWE chairman decided to ban the move because he was fearful that children would try to emulate it at home.
“It was right after I won the WWE Title at WrestleMania, and I just think that it was the first time Vince thought about it, because they were sending footage to the Today Show, because I was there. Aside from it having a fairly violent name, the visual of it, he was watching it, and he just thought it could be easily imitated by young children.”
After the Curb Stomp was banned, Rollins had to come up with a new finishing move, and we saw a variety of them before he ultimately decided to use Triple H’s legendary Pedigree move as his finisher.
Rollins told Jericho that him using the Pedigree was his idea, and that when he asked Triple H if he could use it, “The Game” didn’t really give him a yes or no answer, so he ended up going straight to Vince McMahon, who loved the idea of him using the Pedigree as his new finishing move.
“Me using the Pedigree was a fight. It took a little while to get there. Funny story, I texted Hunter about it, and he made some sort of joke that I took as him just skirting around it, and not wanting to say anything. So I went directly to Vince, and I was like ‘Vince, what do you think of me using the Pedigree?’ And he was like, ‘I love it. It’s great, it’s perfect, it fits right in with the story.'”
Obviously, WWE is setting up for a Seth Rollins vs. Triple H match at some point in the future. In fact, that match was supposed to happen at this past year’s WrestleMania 32, but Rollins ended up blowing out his knee, and he couldn’t make it back in time for the event.
WWE has kept Triple H away from Seth Rollins since the former WWE Champ has returned. But there is a rumor that Triple H may end up facing Rollins at SummerSlam in August. We haven’t seen Triple H on television since he lost the WWE World Title to Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 32, but if WWE is in fact planning on doing Rollins vs. Triple H at SummerSlam, we’ll be seeing Triple H sooner rather than later.
Rollins also covered some other interesting subjects during his one-hour conversation with Jericho, and one of them is that he’d love to wrestle AJ Styles at some point. The two men did wrestle one time, but it was several years ago, and both Styles and Rollins are much more polished at this point in their respective careers.
It doesn’t look like we’ll be getting Rollins vs. Styles anytime soon though, as both men are involved in some pretty big storylines at the moment. But could we see it at some point later this year, or even at next year’s WrestleMania 33 in Orlando? Absolutely!
[Image via WWE]